Headed toward my 2nd revision July 10th

Jessica K
on 5/22/12 5:12 am - NY
Hey yall,

My starting weight for the lap bandd was 180lbs and I only lost about 40lbs.  Then I got sober and gained 70 lbs to 210 lbs.  So i got revised to the sleeve about 2 and half years ago and went down to 114lbs.  I worked my ass off and ate very little.  I had complications with the revision.  There was so much scar tissue from the band that my body still acted like it had a band in there.  So i have been vomiting  like I had the band for 2 1/2 years.  Not that tht has helped me this past year.......I was up to 155lbs and a now down to 145lbs.  My surgeon suggested to me about a year and a hal*****o go ahead and have the gastric bypass.  I was only 114lbs at the time (im 5'6), and didnt think t was such a good idea being so thin.  Now im at 145lbs and im ready to do it.  I use to throw up to just get the food ou of my system, but now it can take up to 2 hours every night to puke up all the food that has been sitting in my stomach from dinner so that i can take my medicine and not throw that up.  Has anyone gone from a band to a bypass? what was the rate of weight loss? My doc said that the weight loss wouldnt be dramatic.  Im hoping to lose at least 20lbs.  He said that he was not going to bypass me the normal amount because im at a normall wieght right now.  Has anyone had the issue with the scar tissue from the band after they had it removed?

Thanks,
Jessica K

Hislady
on 5/22/12 6:16 am - Vancouver, WA
IF you are for real you need far more help than surgery. Anyone that spends 2 hrs every night trying to throw up food has some serious issues and you need to be getting counseling before you get any kind of surgery! I really hope you are a troll because you are a hot mess of issues.
dhsimaitis
on 5/22/12 6:21 am
Revision on 04/23/12
I am surprised any doctor would band you at 180 pounds (5'6")...  let alone do an RNY at 145.  Am I misunderstanding this?  Sorry...

God bless all of our efforts...

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/12 7:52 am - WA
Are you sure? I think maybe you misunderstood him hon.
clpeltz
on 5/22/12 11:26 am
On May 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM Pacific Time, gusgus921 wrote:
Hey yall,

My starting weight for the lap bandd was 180lbs and I only lost about 40lbs.  Then I got sober and gained 70 lbs to 210 lbs.  So i got revised to the sleeve about 2 and half years ago and went down to 114lbs.  I worked my ass off and ate very little.  I had complications with the revision.  There was so much scar tissue from the band that my body still acted like it had a band in there.  So i have been vomiting  like I had the band for 2 1/2 years.  Not that tht has helped me this past year.......I was up to 155lbs and a now down to 145lbs.  My surgeon suggested to me about a year and a hal*****o go ahead and have the gastric bypass.  I was only 114lbs at the time (im 5'6), and didnt think t was such a good idea being so thin.  Now im at 145lbs and im ready to do it.  I use to throw up to just get the food ou of my system, but now it can take up to 2 hours every night to puke up all the food that has been sitting in my stomach from dinner so that i can take my medicine and not throw that up.  Has anyone gone from a band to a bypass? what was the rate of weight loss? My doc said that the weight loss wouldnt be dramatic.  Im hoping to lose at least 20lbs.  He said that he was not going to bypass me the normal amount because im at a normall wieght right now.  Has anyone had the issue with the scar tissue from the band after they had it removed?

Ummm, Yeah, surgery should be the least of your worries.  Eating disorder should be number one and you need help for that.  To go in for MAJOR, LIFE THREATENING SURGERY for 20 lbs is beyond rediculous. 

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Jessica K
on 5/22/12 12:15 pm - NY
let me clarify my problem.  Becuase there is so much scar tissue, by body is acting like there is still a lapband there.  It causes a lot of purging.  My stomach is tigher than when I actually had a lapband.  There upper pouch has actually dialted a little and food packs in there and yes, it can take me up up to 2 hrs to get that packed in food out of my upper pouch.  Im not thowing up after my meals like I used to.  Im justthrowing up what isnt going down, and it is like hours after I hve eaten.  Do i have some disordered eating, um yeah, I think all of us do on here.  Most of us wouldnt be fat asses in the first place if we didnt.  The only reason I am having this surgery, is so that I can stop the purging,  Most of you have removed your band because "it" didnt work.  I had it removed because I didnt work.  Now my body is still acting like there is  lapband there when there isnt one.  How would you like to throw up because food is so packed in your upper pouch and it wont go down, and you are uncoftable.  So what if I want to lose weight as a by product.  Just cause im in a normal weight range, doesnt mean im thin or am happy with my weight..  My dr told me 2 years ago when I saw him about my complication that the only way to fix it would have to be a gastric bypass.  I was 114lbs at the time, so that wasnt exactly an option.  He told me he is more comfortable doing it now because im at a normal weight.  He also said that my weight loss would no where close to being drastic.  Is there something wrong with getting a complication fixed and losing a few lbs at the same time.  Or should i wait till im a fat ass again?

Thanks,
Jessica K

heathercross
on 5/22/12 12:48 pm - New York, NY
 What makes you think you will correct any of your problems with a 3rd surgery?  I don't see how an RNY is going to "make your body think" you don't have a band and keep you from purging.  Before you do anything, I'd suggest seeing a REAL doctor, one who specializes in Revisions.  And, btw, why would you allow the same doctor to operate on you a 3rd time?  Maybe you have a lousy surgeon?
Jessica K
on 5/22/12 1:04 pm - NY
Ok let me reiterate.  There is so much scar tissue left over from the band 5 years ago, that the place where the band was it never released it self.  There is a soft stricture where the band once was.  Ive had it dialated 3 times, and it just pops back to where it was.  So dialation is not an option anymore because it doesnt work for this type of stricture.  When they do the bypass, they are going to cut the new pouch above the stricture, so that will take care of that problem.  As far as the eating goes.  That is an ongoing problem for most of us.  Most of the time im pretty good, but sometimes I binge on all teh wrong foods.  I call it a relapse.  As far as teh surgeon goes,The band was done by Dr. Spivak in Houston, the sleeve was done by Dr. Alanis in Houston, and the bypass will be be done by 2 drs because my cause is so compliacted, Dr. Lavin and Dr French in Lousiiana.  They did my mothers bypass.  My dad is a physician and he sends all his patients to dr French and Lavin, and my dad trusts them with his patients, my mother, and now me, and has a lot of respect for them as surgeons.  As far as my other sugeons doing sugery on a patient that is 180 lbs and 210.  Yeah now I have serious concerns about their integrity.  But what is done is done.  The drs that are doing my bypass have had this compliaction in there practice several times and have fixed it with the bypass.  So they have experience revising this complication.

Thanks,
Jessica K

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/12 1:11 pm - WA
I am not sure I am understanding this correctly but if I am I would assume you have a permenant pouch created by your lap band and now without one the pouch is still there but the opening from the pouch to the stomach is so restricted that it will not allow much food to go thru and thus gets stuck. Am I right?
If I am right and the doc is thinking that if he made an RNY pouch out of the small pouch you already have and create a stoma to allow the food to go thru. That sounds like it would solve your problems. Problem is that if he bypasses the intestines he is going to give you malabsorbtion that you do not need. That at your low weight could pose a very real health risk. Is he thinking he will give you a modified RNY? Well they say the less you weigh at start of RNY then the less you will lose. I would encourage you to get a second opinion. I am sure that if a patient weighing what you do went to the doctor with massive large and many ulcers in thier stomach, that person would have to have part of thier stomach cut away, leaving them a pouch of sorts. It is the bypassing of intestinal tract that is the problem.
Jessica K
on 5/22/12 1:15 pm - NY
I think you are understanding me.  He will only be bypassing my half f what he would be bypassing the noraml person.

Thanks,
Jessica K

Most Active