Considering revision from band to RNY, but concerned

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/12 11:44 am - Catonsville, MD
Hello - it's been a long time since I have been on this site.  I had lap band surgery done 4 years ago & have had problems since day one.  I had initially lost some weight (I think 30 pounds at the most).  I have since continued to gain weight & weigh about 25 pounds more than I did pre-op - ARGH!  I need to have the band removed, and I am considering the bypass, but it seems so overwhelming!  I was so hopeful about getting healthy & losing weight with the lapband.  I would love to hear stories (either good or bad) about your experiences after your revision.  Thanks!!
TamaraL
on 5/17/12 12:17 pm
I will be very honest. i have been lucky. I did great with the revision.  My surgeon had never done a revision but did very good with the surgery. I trusted him completely.

THe vitamin regimin is very overwhelming.  It took me a long time to figure out a schedule. 

#1 things to know

You malabsorb vitamins forever

#2 Only 30% people get sick with sugar and sweets.

#3. you malabsorb calories for the first year to year and a half. 

You do have to be dedicated to following your nutrition plan and eating right and not testing the waters. 

Tamara

MsBatt
on 5/17/12 1:02 pm
While you still have a relatively intact stomach, you should also consider the Sleeve and the DS. Both retain the pylorus and all normal stomach function---the RNY/gastric bypass does not.

The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats of any kind of WLS. It's also the best at resoling or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.
JUSTJUNQUIES
on 5/18/12 6:59 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
I was reved to RNY 6 weeks ago , I initially wanted the sleeve but my doc that I totally trust said only as a last resort , if he could not do RNY , he felt I would do better with RNY.
I have to say I AM LOVING IT ...except for the vitamins :) that takes some getting used to.
I was ALWAYS dead set against bypass, now I have now clue why!!! I feel so much better having the band out!!
I have had NO problems , doc said surgery could be up to 4 hours , he was done in 1-1/2.
Recovery was a bit longer but I also need knee and hip replacement so I am not in the best of shape.
I also thought the band was the be all end all and would be that bit of help I needed to keep my weight off , I think 7 years ago I was sold a bill of goods and had very poor after care from Stanford Clinic, I was so happy when my insurance allowed me to change to a doc I could feel confident in.
If you trust your doc I would follow his/her lead
Best wishes!!

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

JennLyric
on 6/14/12 4:12 am
 Thank you for saying that.  I'm having my band out and doing an RNY on 6/29.  I'm a nervous wreck.  So, no leaks after surgery?  You feel ok?  

Thank you for being there for us who have yet to walk that path!

Jennifer
JUSTJUNQUIES
on 6/14/12 7:39 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
I am feeling great  now , it did take a while to get my strength back , my BP meds had to be changed because BP got to low.
 I went to my surgeon today and he is very happy with my progress , especially since I can't exercise
I was so upset 2 weeks before surgery that I was taking valium every day!! I was making myself sick, finally had to decided if I was having surgery or not, and I knew I was so I decided to just give up and every time I got scared I told myself how healthy I was going to be and everything was going to go smoothly. All went smooth , I am 10 weeks out and for about the last 2 weeks I can stay awake past 8 :)
My doc thought for sure I had lost 60 by looking at me (yea right) my son in law said the same thing. I have lost 44 including the 12 I lost before surgery.
NO LEAKS
Vitamins are challenging and takes some time to figure out
went out to lunch today for my birthday and had the meat of 1/2 pot roast sandwich with swiss cheese...I am still full 2 hours later
I am happy to have another chance to be healthy !!
Good luck and best wishes !!!!!

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

JennLyric
on 6/14/12 7:43 am
THAT is what I needed to hear.  Thank you SO much.  I think I speak for all of us who are going to be doing this.  You really helped with that post, including with the severe nerves.

You rock, truly.
Most Active