Gastric by pass revision

Cuzican258
on 5/11/12 1:26 am - NJ
 Hi...I'm just trying to gather helpful information....I had a gastric by pass 13 years ago and lost 110 lbs...I have gained some back roughly a little over 50lbs...I decided to do the revision of gastric bypass and my surgery is sched for June 25th...I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the possible weight loss on a revision can be...I know everyone is different...this is my 2nd chance and I'm planning on reaching my goal that I never reached first time around...any info will be greatly appreciated....Thankyou
(deactivated member)
on 5/11/12 3:16 am - WA
what kind of revision are you having?
Cuzican258
on 5/11/12 8:01 am - NJ
 Revision of Gastric Bypass done 13 years ago
clpeltz
on 5/11/12 9:35 am
So, RNY to RNY?  Did you research all the options?  It didn't work before, what makes you think it will work this time?

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

MsBatt
on 5/11/12 1:46 pm
What sort of revision? Rose? StomaphyX? Band over Bypass? RNY to DS?

Not all revisions are created equal.
Hislady
on 5/11/12 1:48 pm - Vancouver, WA
If you are talking about ROSE or Stomaphyx, neither of those are considered successful. Even BOB (band over bypass) isn't always very successful. The only one I've heard of that works is RNY to DS but it takes a very special and eexperienced surgeon and they are few and far between.
Ladytazz
on 5/12/12 4:10 pm
It sounds like they are going to revise your RNY to another RNY.  On one hand they are doing RNYs a lot different then they did 13 years ago, on the other hand if you haven't had the success you desired with your first surgery what makes you think this will be different?
I have no problems with revisions.  I had one but mine wasn't because I had regained weight, even though I did.  I had other issues that led me to a revision.  To be totally honest I would never have had a revision just to lose weight because I was convinced that no WLS would work for me because of my uncontrolled carb addiction.  There is no WLS that causes malabsorption of simple carbs and all the things with sugar and white flour I was eating were absorbed 100%.  I would fail any WLS I had if I continued eating that way.
Because I was being revised I knew I had to look at my eating issues and do something about it or just write off another WLS.  I decided for me that eating any refined carbs, sugar or things with gluten, would only cause me to crave more and soon I would be off and running.  I decided to use my post op recovery period to detox from the refined carbs and make changes in the way I ate.  That is when I finally realized the concept of WLS being a tool.  When I used my tool, whatever tool that might be, it helped me to eat in the best way to maximize the potential of my WLS.  
I hope that no matter which WLS you choose you will also look at the causes of your not reaching your goal or keeping off the weight you lost and take the steps you need to make the most of whatever surgery you have.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/12 2:20 am, edited 5/14/12 2:21 am - WA
I also am seeking a revison RNY TO RNY. I did not reach a goal weight (although doc calls me a sucess at 50% weight loss (50 LBS). I had the same problem as TAZIwith carbs). I have Obstructive Sleep Apnea and 50 LBS were just not enough to cure the sleep apnea. I continued to have it and anyone with it knows of the intense carb cravings (your body craves it as a way to get the energy to get thru the day. I learned to cut out the sweets and the fatty foods no problem (even though I didn't dump on them) but the carbs have been a problem. I plan on taking a cue from Lady Tazz and cut carbs out of my diet as much as possible. I did not think about the gluten aspect but I am now going to research it to see if I can do it. I know that it will not work unless I change what I am eating regardless of the fact that I may not cure the sleep apnea I have to find another way to get the energy my body needs to function after a sleep less night. Doing the no milk products, no sweets, no fatty foods and then the very little carbs (good thing I love fruits and Veggies and Fish) is what I hope will get me down by 100 LBS. I hope, I hope. But don't be discouraged at all, You should be able to do it by excersise with behavior changes and the new type of surgery. I am also counting on the ERNY to be the trick I need. Good Luck

put this in your header and you will get more answers: "what the possible weight loss on a revision can be"
(deactivated member)
on 5/15/12 1:11 am - Prosper, TX

I too am seeking an RNY revision.  I did loose the weight, but after three years and a lot of difficuly cir****tances, my old eating habits got the best of me and my WLS.  I have already gone to the DR. and start the Nut, stress test, EDG and psy eval next week, then a final consultation.  The internist in my DR office tried explaining to me what they would do and they have had great success with it.  He said that they would move the (trunk)?? or branch of my RNY down which in turn would cause more mal-absorption and then something else for the appetitie portion of things.  I still have a small pouch because a lot of times protein i.e. chicken, ground beef and steak do not go down very well and actually come back up because of the pain.  I also still have dumping with things that I eat and I am now not overlooking that.   It just is not worth how bad it makes me feel.  This is a tool, and many times I have heard people say that "they only fix your stomach an not your head".  I am a "stress eater" and am working to gain control of that.  Like Taz and muzzled I too am going to use my post op time to rid myself of carbs.  How funny that we know what we are supposed to do yet seem to be doing the opposite.

Most Active