Gastrogastric Fistula

Vickie_Gregory
on 5/8/12 9:39 am - Kingston Springs, TN

Help, I need to know more about Gastrogastric Fistula.  I'll be 10 yr out 11/11/2012.  When I had my R/Y I had a lot of trouble.  A leak and many other problems. Read my my story and you will see.  Now I have put back on 25 pounds, I thought from not eating the way I should, starting throwing up a lot more with a lot of bile.  Started having pain, checked for everything.  Was told this week that I have a Gastrogastric Fistula .  My dr has checked with a bariatric surgeon and they both hope that they can see me heal with medicine.  I am now on Carafate. My question is have any of you been this route and be able to heal with meds.  I really don't want surgery if I can go another way.  I spent ovver 8 weeks in the hospital teh first time.  My weight then was 310 down to 145, now 170.  I am thankful for where I a have been, just want to NOT get into the problems of the past. Any suggestions would be appreciated. may Jesus bless each of you on this journey.
tenaluv
on 6/21/12 1:00 pm
Hi Vickie,

I am 13 years out from open rny with complications and just found out after my first endoscopy after the WLS that I too have a gastrogastric fistula.  I am scheduled for surgery July 3 to fix it.  I also have a hernia to fix at the same time.  Basically, he is going to staple the part of the pouch that is open to my old stomach and cut the old stomach away from the pouch.  The original surgery just stapled the pouch and kept everything intact.

After everything I went through with the original surgery I am scared to even have this done but I am happy with the new bariatric surgeon and feel as tho he will do the best thing for me.  My original surgeon was 2 hours away and no longer practicing (retired)

BTW, I read your blog and it never went into much detail of your original surgery experience.  It seems like we may have mu*****ommon with the complicationes etc ...

I hope you get things worked out!!  Please let me know how you do.

Hugs,
Tena
Most Active