Dr making me lose 10% of weight before surgery?

brownsugargirl
on 5/2/12 11:32 am - Ambridge, PA
Not only can I not lose 10% I gained 15 .. Can drs turn you down for surgery if I dont lose it ? Scared . Michelle  
(deactivated member)
on 5/3/12 6:44 am - WA

When I had mine done My surgeon told me I had to lose a certain amount of weight. I went on thier opti fast diet a couple of weeks before my date.  Worked hard at doing it too. Got the the doc for the appt (day before surgery) and they didn't even care if I lost any weight, didn't even ask me how it went. Not saying it will be that way for you but if it is a diet just before surgery they probably just want you to healthy up your liver.

Turtle Lynn
on 5/4/12 3:08 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Hi Michelle,

Yes, the surgeon can choose not to go forward with the surgey if you don't lose the required weight; especially if it is really the insurance company demanding the weight loss.  I know people who have had their surgery date pushed bac****il they lose the required weight. 

I would call your surgeon's office and talk to them, they would be the best ones to answer your questions right now.  You can find out if that is an ins requirement or if it is the doc's, and if it is his/hers, maybe they will waive it for you or at least work with you somehow, put you on a liquid diet maybe?  It's certainly worth a phone call to find out. 

Good luck to you!

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

heathercross
on 5/5/12 11:29 pm - New York, NY
Its done for many reasons.

(1) to see if you can follow procedures and stick to a diet
(2) bc the insurance company requires it and they want to make sure you can be compliant
(3) any weight loss makes you a better candidate for surgery as you will de-fat your liver and shrink your organs.
brownsugargirl
on 5/7/12 1:28 am - Ambridge, PA
Thanks guys. The only thing I can think is I the steroids since I took them for my asthma .. Weight gain like crazy.. Looks like diet pill time. Michelle 
smileyjamie72
on 5/7/12 11:57 am, edited 5/7/12 11:58 am - Palmer, AK

Yes, in reality, your doc can turn you away, but not all docs require that you lose weight.
I avtually GAINED 30 pounds from last March to late December.  And I was not turned away, but my doc did not require it, either.

What was your original surgery?
What are you looking to revise to?

And as for some of the relpies.........................
NOT ALL INSURANCE COMPANIES HAVE THAT REQUIREMENT!!!!!!!!!  

Your particular policy may requre it, but mine did not.  It did not even have a monthly weight loss requirement.  But I did that on my own, just to make sure for myself, that revision surgery was what I REALLY needed, not just what I wanted.  And, when the first of many denials came back, I needed to have a food journal, and it was not in the ploicy, it was what the Independendent Medical Review suggested.  So, I was on the phone with the insurance company, and I asked "How long" did they want the journal for?  And she LITERALLY pulled the number out of her hat, and said, "I don't know, how about 6 months?"  I kid you not!!!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Carmen C.
on 5/8/12 3:51 am
RNY on 08/08/12
My doctor is making me loose 10 pounds.. so I am working hard.. 10 pounds and I an now qualified..
Most Active