Removal approved...revision denied

sable07
on 4/30/12 1:55 am
Revision on 06/17/13
My insurance company (Independence Blue Cross Personal Choice) approved the removal of the lap band but denied the revision. 

So, of course, I have questions for my doctor, insurance company and myself:

1.  Why the revision denial?  Since I had the initial surgery with my current carrier (even though I had a different employer) they are holding to the exclusion of more than one procedure.

2. What is my next step?  Appeal to the insurance company and request a peer review with my doctor.

3.  If I appeal can they change their mind on the band removal approval?  No

4.  What if I self-pay for the revision part of the procedure since I'll already be cut open?  What will that cost be?  The finance department of the doctor's office is checking into that for me.  It may take up to 3 weeks for an answer.

5. Why am I not accepting of the decision?  I'm happy to hear that it is a positive step.  However, I don't want two more surgeries - just one.  I want the revision so that the weight can be decreased.  Per my last labs I'm diabetic.  I want that to go away too.  I'm tired of my athsma kicking my butt when I go up the stairs.  I no longer want to snore from sleep apnea. 

I'm pissed, tired and I'm not going down without a fight!

Ashley A.
on 4/30/12 12:36 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 06/27/12
I wish you the best! From what I have been reading on the boards from previous revision denials a lot of people get approved after their first appeal. Hopefully this will be the case for you. I just submitted for band to sleeve revision to my insurance on Friday. I have a feeling I will have to appeal for the revision part as well.  Don't give up! Good Luck with the appeal process and everything! Hang in there. Let us know how it turns out.

Realize Band-12.1.08 Revision to VSG-6.27.12

sable07
on 4/30/12 1:49 pm
Revision on 06/17/13
Thanks!  My doctor will be doing the peer to peer review.  If that doesn't work then I do a formal appeal.  Will keep you posted!
Most Active