Considering Revision LapBand to DS....scared of failure again!!!

Turtle Lynn
on 5/1/12 1:01 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

** rest of response to Larra after quote**

I did say that, and you are correct about how dangerous it is.  I apologize if I offended anyone.  I certainly didn't mean to imply that that was a simple solution and anybody could just go do it if the mood strikes them. 

I meant only to say that there was another option open to me at some point if it was ever deemed necessary be it for diabetes or anything else.  That was actually part of my conversation with the surgeons.  Do I want to consider a 3rd WLS?  Hell no!!!  The plan is to do the RNY and than not need any future surgeries, as I follow the plan and get healthy. 

I have had to wait and suffer for 3 years with this reflux because my prior insurance would not cover a revision surgery.  They would only pay to take the band out, and that was only after multiple appeals, so I held out until my employer changed plans again. Would they cover another revision surgery?  I have no idea and I hope I never have to find out! 

Another issue for me personally is healing; again, thank you diabetes.  Dr. Greenbaum does the DS as an open procedure.  As I mentioned earlier, I have vascular issues from the diabetes, so the least invasive surgery is what we are going for.  Even that is a big risk for me.  I don't want to be laid up in the hospital for 6 months because I had open surgery and my wounds won't heal, and keep coming open like they did for 7 months after I had my plastic surgery.  Yes, for 7 months, that is not a typo.  

I have a much better chance for healing and not having wound complications by having the Bypass as it is laparoscopic rather than open.

I understand why you might think I haven't thought things through, especially because I was not trying to go through my whole medical history, lol.  But, in weighing the risks versus benefits with all of my health issues (I still have more that we haven't even touched on), collectively, the surgeons and I agree that the RNY is a better and safer option for me.      

It's nice to be able to discuss all of this with people in the same boat.  Imagine trying to have this conversation with someone who knows nothing about bariatric procedures. . . or why Lap bands fail and what is different about THIS surgery you want to have now. . . .talk about frustrating!!!!!

I am always open to a good dialogue, and I appreciate the comments and feedback I have gotten on this board.  This is part of the reason I reactivated my account here; I want to talk to people who are on the same page and have similar experiences, good or bad, especially before and after I have my revision.  :)

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

larra
on 5/2/12 1:00 am - bay area, CA
It sounds like you have put your heart and soul into this very difficult decision. I hope your surgery will give you the relief from the band-related GERD and at least allow for better control of the diabetes, even if it doesn't resolve.
     Perhaps this is simply one of those times when there is just no way to be certain what is best, and you just have to take your best shot at it. And of course I can't possibly know your entire medical history. I may not agree with your decision, but I wish you nothing but the best.

Larra
smileyjamie72
on 5/1/12 9:23 am - Palmer, AK

almost_thin,

My recovery has been a bumpy one, for sure.  I am GLA that Larra responded.  She has a background in the medical field.  (I am not positive, but I think Larra is a retired doctor).  I did, indeed start my journey to my revision in 2009, and did not get approved, until mid-December 2011.  NEARLY 3 YEARS of denials.

A few things for you to think about between Larra's informative post and mine.

GOOD LUCK in YOUR journey!!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Turtle Lynn
on 5/1/12 9:49 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with
Jamie,

I'm sorry to hear you had a rough time with your recovery, that is never fun!!!!  I am always open to suggestions and feedback; that's one of the reasons I re-joined this forum.  :) 

Thank you, I appreciate your well wishes.  When I was first presented with my options, my head was spinning a mile a minute!  It can be very overwhelming as you know.  I am just hoping it all turns out as well as we are expecting it to!   
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there a limit on here to how long messages can be?  I'm going to try and paste the rest of the reply to Larra under our conversation and see if it works.  Or, is it just me that can't see the whole thing, lol ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> One last thing, and this concerns me - at the end of your post, you stated that if the RNY didn't work out, you could convert to the DS. You make it sound so easy! RNY to DS revision is in reality the most complex and high risk bariatric surgery presently being done. It is NOT always possible. 

Turtle Lynn
on 5/1/12 9:50 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with
Okay, it did it again. 

What am I doing wrong here?  Everything I typed to Larra after the pink quote is not showing up! 

Help!

Auburnmist
on 4/27/12 4:21 am - TX
Thanks Hislady and Almost_thin!  You definitely understand my fear of failure again.  Your words are encouraging.  I have actually contacted one surgeon (as my surgeon no longer lives in the country) to discuss DS.  They are seeing if my insurance will actually cover any of it.  I was a self-pay for the band and may be again.  I am looking into going to Mexico but I'm not sure a 10K difference in cost warrnents the trip.  I much prefer my surgeon right down the road.  Thinking about it though if I'm a "self-pay" this round.

Girlie, I have done extensive research and at first I leaned towards the gastric bypass for revision. But with my research have learned DS offers the greatest weight loss and maintanence long term.  I've read that the ryn is considered the gold standard and DS is considered the plantinum standard.  
I have been obese since about age 2.  I feel I need a more agressive option for me.  I have already done restriction with the band and had the Ultimate failure with the catheter of the band strangling a small part of my intestines dead.  The DS offers both restriction and a great degree of mal absorption.  One must commit to taking the supplementation to prevent malnutrition.  Also, reading many of the boards from this website and others, I see that many people are revision from band, ryn, sleeve to DS.  These are some of the factors that have lead me to seek out the DS for me.  Do some research on your own and come to the conclusion that works best for you and your lifestyle.  

Auburn
twins99
on 4/28/12 1:12 am - Sebastian, FL
Hi my name is wanda 47 yrs old and have been obese since 7 yrs old,
I had the lap band in 3/06 lost 140 lbs in a year after time had problems with vomiting , etc had to get the band out in 9/09 , gained 80 lbs back but during acid and getting food down went to milk shakes and smooth things to fill me up, had a revision to the sleeve only lost 50 wasnt going anywhere did not feel restriction had acid burning my throat all night and got a hernia so i went back to surgeon ugh!!! right well i had a revision to gastric bypass 12/1/ 11 i have lost 60 lbs in 4 months because i am 2x revised i can eat more than 4oz like they call a fresh patient with no prior , but its working i do take 10 vitamins aday and that is for life .
I knew the weight lost would not happen in 6 months like an average gastric bypass patient but it is surely coming along, do your research of course i wish i did the gastric bypass fronm the beginning but i cant look back only ahead, Good Luck
Auburnmist
on 4/28/12 1:38 am - TX
Wanda I think you are doing awesome!! 

At the time I did my band, the surgeon told me I was a better canidate for bypass.  But for me at the time I wanted the least invasive option. But one can only move forward and not look back.  I do believe that everything happens for a reason.  I am looking into DS for me.  I feel that it's the best option for me.

Auburn
twins99
on 4/28/12 2:45 am - Sebastian, FL
Stay positive take it one day at a time. Only we know what we eat wrong and when we know we are losing, Good luck
Turtle Lynn
on 5/1/12 4:59 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with
>> had a revision to the sleeve only lost 50 wasnt going anywhere did not feel restriction had acid burning my throat all night

Most Active