Determining if RNY to DS Revision is necessary ?

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/12 3:46 am, edited 4/23/12 4:15 am - North Brookfield, MA
Those that have had this revision, how did you and your Dr. determine that it was necessary?
Did you often feel that food was 'stuck' resulting in vomiting?
Were you gaining weight no matter how hard you tried?
I am having an EGD done tomorrow and I have been very impressed with the research on DS, I believe this may be a healthy decision for me. This weight regain does such a number on your head!

Oh, and one thing I am not clear about... if RNY doesn't have the Pyloric valve, but DS does...in a revision situation do they re-create one?

Thanks, I appreciate any info.  Lisa
Turtle Lynn
on 4/23/12 8:49 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Hi Lisa,

With the bypass, your pyloric valve is still there in the portion of your stomach that is not "in use".  I guess technically the stomach is still in use as lower down in your intestines the stomach acids do mix with the food where it is reattached, but its not "in use" as far as your food intake if that makes sense.  The pyloric valve is actually at the bottom of your stomach so with RNY, it is not removed or anything so it doesn't have to be re-created.  The rest of your questions I can't answer, sorry!  Hope this helps :)

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/12 10:54 pm - North Brookfield, MA
Thanks, yes, it helped a lot!
(deactivated member)
on 4/24/12 2:16 am - WA
what is a  pyloric valve ?
He who can't be Named
on 4/24/12 12:52 pm
 It is also called the pylorus, and is the valve at the bottom of the stomach which regulates food moving from the stomach to the intestines. 

Cutting it and leaving it hanging with the unused stomach that is not in use is the root of many of the problems with all the types of RNY, like dumping and reactive hypoglycemia, and when when the man made opening with RNY (or ERNY) called the stoma stretches, that is often a reason one can't feel full, and regains weight. It just dumps the food right into the intestines, and the stomach is empty again.
Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
Karen H.
on 4/24/12 4:11 am
Appears to me that those of us that had the RNY, are not searching for somthing else..Should we not have been told about this before our first surgery. I gained all my weight back and I eat very little..Just do not understand. I had a RNY 2004...

..."Let Us Love The World To Peace"...

Most Active