Failure? (X-Post)

Sonja W.
on 4/19/12 4:07 am - Decatur, IL
I was a member on this site several years ago, but have gotten out of the habit.  Actually, a lot of things related to getting my Lap-Band in August of 2007 are no longer "habits".  Admittedly, I haven't been the best WLS patient.  I started at 284, and lost 60 pounds in the first 8 months, and not another ounce since.  That loss was purely through restriction and diet -- no real exercise initially.  My question is this:  Since I have maintained the weight loss for 4 years, is it still considered a failed WLS because I have only lost 26% of my excess weight??

I'm curious for personal reasons (considering revision in the near future), but I'm also writing a paper for a class and would like to give some real-world examples and arguments.

Thanks for any input!
Sonja
Sonja W.
on 4/19/12 4:57 am - Decatur, IL
Oops - my percentage posted above is wrong... I never claimed to be a math wiz!  I have actually lost 41% of my excess weight.  My goal weight is 140 and I still have 84 pounds to go.

Sonja
Turtle Lynn
on 4/23/12 9:21 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

I don't think you would be considered a failure as with the LapBand, I believe the expected weight loss range is 40% - 60% of your excess weight.  Though I could certainly be wrong; the numbers may have changed over the years.  You might want to check the Allergan or Realize website.  I'm sure they would have the percentages listed on there.

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

poolew4eva
on 4/23/12 10:07 pm - Oxford, NC
hi my name is antionette and i haad weight loss surgery 10 years ago and now im gaining back the weight.I feel like a failure because for years everyone was complementing me on how greaat i look now i hate to look in the mirror.I want to do revision but no insurnce at the time.Please stay in touch about your journey.
Jenns Livin free
on 4/19/12 9:21 am
 If your BMI is still in the obese range, it could possibly be considered a failed WLS.  I revised from a band to the sleeve and was able to get insurance to pay for it because I still had a BMI in the obese range.
Jenn
Lovin' life...finally! Jenn
HW 324 Lapband SW 290(9/14/09)  VSG SW 254(5/23/11)  CW 210 GW 160
Approved on 3/10/2011 for Revision to VSG. Lapband removal 3/22/2011.VSG surgery 5/23/2011

Sonja W.
on 4/24/12 6:22 am - Decatur, IL
Thank you everyone for your responses and support!  I'm still really unsure about revision.  I've already put my body through obesity and 1 invasive procedure (actually 2).  And I'm honest enough with myself now to say (out loud) that I relied on my band to do the work in the past.  I know I just need to put some real effort into my weight loss and I'll achieve my goals.  For now I'm going to get a fill (once I have the $$) and get back to the gym!!  Good luck to everyone! 

Sonja
*I may be slow, but I'm lapping everyone on the couch!*
Most Active