what made you want a revision?

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/12 7:47 am - WA
Just researching on what made you want a revision and which one you chose. I am thinking of a revision myself but don't know much about it. Don't even know if I am a good candadate for it?
Allen Y.
on 4/13/12 3:27 pm - Garland, TX
 Easy, I gained allmost all my weight back and all my health issues came back too.

The surgeon picked the revision proceedure and I went per his skill and advice.
(deactivated member)
on 4/14/12 12:28 am - WA
what was it you got? how has it been? what did you have for your first surgery?what caused your weight gain?
Ladytazz
on 4/14/12 6:15 am
My main reason for wanting a revision was because of constant fatigue which gave me a very poor quality of life.  I also had chronic bacterial overgrowth of the intestines most likely caused by my shorter common channel or some other reason, not sure.  I had constant diarrhea, terrible, odorous gas and some fecal incontinence which made it hard to have a job or even a social life.  I had regained 100 lbs, too, but that really didn't factor into my decision to have a revision.  I actually was seeking a reversal but I was told that I couldn't be reversed, only revised so I didn't malabsorb a lot.  My surgeon also made my stomach into a RNY pouch, which helped because I had never experienced much restriction, if any.  I was told that I might not lose any weight but that was fine as long as I could feel better and not have the constant diarrhea.  I am happy to say that those things have happened and I did lose weight, even too much, but it is stabilizing now.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Allen Y.
on 4/14/12 10:49 am - Garland, TX
 I regained my weight for numerous reasons, mostly emotional. My original surgery was VBG, and with time it is easy enough to work around that to gain weight.
smileyjamie72
on 4/16/12 7:20 am - Palmer, AK

You did not give alot of information..... 

What was your first surgery?  When was your first surgery?
What are you thinking of revising to?
Are you having complications?  
Have you gained weight back?
Did you ever make it to your goal weight?

As for me, I had RNY in 2002.  I honsetly did not know that the DS exsisted.  My highest weight was 317.  I have been heavy all of my life.  I was 175 pounds when I was 12 years old.  After my RNY, 18 months later, I started to re-gain weight.  No matter how much I ddieted, and exercised!!!  I kept gaining!!!!  I started thinking that I should look into a revision, and started researching.  In 2009, I was still "on the fence" about going down the road to a revision.... Then I read this: http://www.dssurgery.com/about/publications/duodenal-switch- safe-operation.pdf
And, sitting at 230 pounds,,,,, I was still a "success" at my weight loss.  UGH.   What BULL****  That as according to the Independent Medical Review/denial from the insurance company.
It took nearly 3 years to FINALLY get approved for my revision.  I am now almost 4 months out from my RNY to DS revision, and do not regret it!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

karianne
on 4/16/12 9:37 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
I actually had a very successful banding experience until last year. I got the band back in April 2004. Lost all my weight in 2 years. My surgeon was very conservative with fills which is why I never needed an unfill in 8 years. I was able to maintain my goal weight for 5 yrs. I was not without additional surgeries though. I had my port flip twice my first year which resulted in 2 additional surgeries.

In April 2011, I woke up with no restriction. I called my NP and due to no pain she said make an appointment to come in anytime. Since I was at goal I thought I would try maintaining without the restriction-huge mistake. I quickly gained weight. I made the appointment and finally went in as they suspected a leak. With dye and under radiation they were trying to identify where the leak was coming from and unfortunately they couldn't.

My only 2 options were a full band replacement or revision to GB. I chose the GB for many reasons. The commitment level of the first year with the band in regards to the fills and appointments is huge and I've done that once and really don't have that investment right now. I was also very lucky to hit my sweet spot without additional complications which I don't know could happen again. I had WLS when I was 29, now almost at 40 and I realize that foreign "parts" will not last forever and I don't want additional surgeries (I already had 4 related to the band).

I also know that I am very successful with losing and maintaining so I just want it permanent. I am very happy with my decision. I'm 10 days post op and down 20lbs.

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

Turtle Lynn
on 4/17/12 9:45 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with
I'm scheduled in June for a revision from Band to RNY.  My reason is, my band caused me to develop severe acid reflux for 3 1/2 years after plastic surgery, with no releif from meds and because they had to empty my band, I have gained back 50 of the 100 lbs I lost. 

My doc selected RNY for me mainly because it cures reflux.  I have the option of the DS as well, but as I'm considered a "lightweight" he feels that surgery may be a little too aggressive and that I will achieve the weight loss and reflux relief that I need with the RNY.  

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Most Active