Band to RNY How to lose weight faster?

Shrinking Fashionista
on 4/11/12 5:37 pm - TX
 Hey OHers!

I had lapband in 2002 and I am about to have Gastric Bypass..I am becoming really nervous I want to lose as much weight as possible with in the first 6 months and use my tool to my advantage..I have read that weight loss is slower with revision...why do you guys think that is? is it because we have learnt to eat around our band? and perhaps can use the same tricks with our pouch? 

So can all the band to rnyers tell us your tricks to losing weight faster? 

Thanks so much I am nervous because I am paying cash for my revision and scared it will be a waste :( 

Please please please someone help me take away these fears...i almost feel like backing out..ive downloaded diet and nutrition guidlines....and all that...im becoming really anxious :(
Allen Y.
on 4/11/12 6:57 pm - Garland, TX
 I went from VBG to RNY. The RNY sure acts differnt. No discomfort when eating, but then again I am only 3 weeks out and I am never hungry. I have lost alot of weight already, but I was super morbidly obese. Thus don't compare yourself to me.

There are pro's and con's to any plan of action you take. You just have to decide what you can live with.

Regards
Allen

sable07
on 4/12/12 11:20 am
Revision on 06/17/13
Hi,

Great question!  I'm waiting for a approval for a revision from the band to RNY.  How long did it take you to get your approval?

Good luck!
Amanda S.
on 4/13/12 7:10 am - VA
RNY on 02/13/12
I'm exactly 2 months out from my revision as of today, and I've lost 55 lbs. so far (I started at 253 lbs., so I think that's pretty good). I'm averaging about 2-5 lbs. a week now in weight loss, and it hasn't slowed down any yet. Eating after RNY is a lot different than eating with the band. I'll admit I did eat around the band occassionally, but only because healthier foods tended to be denser and got stuck more often. I haven't been stuck once or had any problems with any food going down (including dense proteins- I can even eat beef!) since my revision- I just get full much, much faster. I think revisions are supposed to have less/slower weight loss because it's assumed that you're already eating small amounts of food because of your prior surgery, so cutting a little more food out of your diet won't make as big of a difference. I was un-filled completely for over a year before my revision, though, and my surgeon says I'm losing weight at the same rate as his original RNYers. Best of luck to you!

Pre-Surgery Weight: 253 lbs.
Current Weight: 135-140 lbs.

TamaraL
on 4/13/12 9:23 am
my psychologist told me that weight loss was slower with the bypass but I lost pretty good at first then started losing 1-2 pounds/week steadily.  I didn't have as much to lose though.  i weighed 218 at revision and have lost down to 150 and am pretty happy with where i am. 

I do think you really have to follow your food plan.  I exercised a lot from the beginning and think that is the reason i have lost so much.  I am 1 year and 1/2 out and have lost 2 pant sizes recently by running. 

Figure out why the band failed and try to do things differently.  Do you graze because you get sick or throw up from eating.  My band caused 80-90% of my problem but 10-20% was me and the food choices i made because of the band.

i can tell you this.  As soon as i woke up from surgery i felt 100% better.  I can eat normally with the band and don't get sick like i did with the band.

Don't psych urself out.  Just follow your doctors guidelines and don't cheat.  eat right and exercise. you will lose.

Tamara.

PS my doctor said it was total bull**** that you lose slower with the bypass and i think that is true.  you get what you put into this

tamara

Shrinking Fashionista
on 4/15/12 2:07 pm - TX
 Thanks Ladies for all the awesome replies!
(deactivated member)
on 4/16/12 3:00 am - Bay City, MI
I am having my revision on April 25th. Lap Band to Gastric Bypass. I'm 215 right now. I'm hoping to get to 130. I'm 5'1'', so that's still technically overweight.  Anyway, I knew the weight loss was slower when you're smaller, but it's slower on revision too!?!?! I was a pro at tricking my band... I really want the GP to work.  That's why I chose it... I figured I couldn't trick it...
karianne
on 4/16/12 9:40 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
I actually had a very successful banding experience until last year. I got the band back in April 2004. Lost all my weight in 2 years. My surgeon was very conservative with fills which is why I never needed an unfill in 8 years. I was able to maintain my goal weight for 5 yrs. I was not without additional surgeries though. I had my port flip twice my first year which resulted in 2 additional surgeries.

In April 2011, I woke up with no restriction. I called my NP and due to no pain she said make an appointment to come in anytime. Since I was at goal I thought I would try maintaining without the restriction-huge mistake. I quickly gained weight. I made the appointment and finally went in as they suspected a leak. With dye and under radiation they were trying to identify where the leak was coming from and unfortunately they couldn't.

My only 2 options were a full band replacement or revision to GB. I chose the GB for many reasons. The commitment level of the first year with the band in regards to the fills and appointments is huge and I've done that once and really don't have that investment right now. I was also very lucky to hit my sweet spot without additional complications which I don't know could happen again. I had WLS when I was 29, now almost at 40 and I realize that foreign "parts" will not last forever and I don't want additional surgeries (I already had 4 related to the band).

I also know that I am very successful with losing and maintaining so I just want it permanent. I am very happy with my decision. I'm 10 days post op and down 20lbs not too bad!

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

Most Active