I cannot believe I am here!

macktrac
on 4/10/12 8:34 am - Baltimore, MD
I had RNY July 08 and I was very successful initially.  I lost 140lbs and have put  back on 50 in the last 18 months.  At 250 now, I could stand to lose 75-100 more pounds.   I can blame so many factors like being a caregiver, infertility (after hoping it would happen for us after surgery, but did not), depression, etc.  The list goes on and on.  I am so dissappointed in myself for allowing this to happen.  How could I?  I have inspired others to have surgery and now I am the chunky one again......... I know that I cannot stay in this place mentally or physically.  It is just so hard to come out of this mess.  Has anyone else been here?  Is revision worth it?  Please share your thoughts. 
(deactivated member)
on 4/10/12 9:17 am - Mexico
On April 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM Pacific Time, macktrac wrote:
I had RNY July 08 and I was very successful initially.  I lost 140lbs and have put  back on 50 in the last 18 months.  At 250 now, I could stand to lose 75-100 more pounds.   I can blame so many factors like being a caregiver, infertility (after hoping it would happen for us after surgery, but did not), depression, etc.  The list goes on and on.  I am so dissappointed in myself for allowing this to happen.  How could I?  I have inspired others to have surgery and now I am the chunky one again......... I know that I cannot stay in this place mentally or physically.  It is just so hard to come out of this mess.  Has anyone else been here?  Is revision worth it?  Please share your thoughts. 

If it is worth it really depends on what you want to revise to.  It appears you never got to goal to begin with so perhaps RNY isn't the ticket for you.  What about a revision to DS and be done with it once and for all?

Is being normal size worth it?  Sure is for me!

Goal for over 4 years now.

mrdoores
on 4/10/12 2:55 pm - Waldorf, MD
Did you have a revision to DS or was your original surgery DS?  I also had RNY in 2000, lost 137lbs and have regained 77lbs and am seeking revision.

Jerry R.
on 4/11/12 7:48 am - Simi Valley, CA
Before you seek a revision....go back to the basics! I to regained ~40lbs, never hit my goal weight, and felt disappointed in those facts.

~ 18 months ago I had a barium swallow test and it said that I have a moderately dialated STOMA. Back to basics of liquid Managment & food journal has helped me drop back down.

I started @ 340lbs had a low of 218 and regained up to 250. This morning I weighed in @ 211. Still have a BMI of 31 but working hard to loose more.

I would say, as I have told myself, be accountable to what you put in your mouth! As a new years resolution I started to use www.myfitnesspal.com as my food journal. Writing it down has opened my eyes to how much I can eat and theres no doubt I can consume more than I need and regain is only a bigmac away!

A follow up with your surgeon would also be helpful to assess the condition of your pouch to see if a revision is even requiered.

Getting back to basics is a great way to start.....good luck!

My user name on www.myfitnesspal.com is JRAlphaDog. Anyone reading this can look me up there....friend me, we all can use the support.

macktrac
on 4/13/12 1:45 pm - Baltimore, MD
You are 100% correct!  I was feeling the exact same way.  Its not like I forgot what to do, I just did not do it.  I got lost in alot of other emotional stuff.  At any rate, I met with the surgeon today and he suggested a revision, but we agreed to get back to the basics and then decide.  Thank you for your input and the information.  Wishing you the best!
Jerry R.
on 4/13/12 6:14 pm - Simi Valley, CA
Back to the basics works...especially liquid managment.  Stop liquids 30 min before and wait as long as you can after.  For me minimum 1 hour.

This will help you get full faster and help you stay satiated longer.  Make sure to pound the liquids between meals.

With the basics in my mind, doing my best to follow the simple rules I learned so long ago I have now started to loose again.  I know it doesent sound like a lot....1 pound.  But, this morning I just weighed in @ 210....a new all time low as an adult.

Good luck.

JR
Most Active