Just had revision from LapBand to RNY-Gastric Bypass last week

Jessica Kolman
on 4/3/12 1:05 pm - Morrisville, NC
RNY on 03/28/12
 Hey guys!!
I'm pretty sure this is my first post. I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know that I'm a not a new bariatric surgeon patient, but new to the RNY Gastric Bypass. I started out in 2009 by having the Lap Band put in by Dr. Enochs here in Raleigh, NC. I managed to lose about 45 pounds with the help of the Lap Band, but also I worked really hard and worked out at least an hour a day at the gym and worked out with a personal trainer. I felt as thought the band wasn't doing its job. I know it's not a magic wand, it's a tool. Yet I felt like I was doing more the work then it was helping me at all.  I remember going to the doctor's office every couple a months insisting that the band wasn't helping me and I wanted an adjustment on my band. They said I didn't need one based on the fluro x-ray. 

Fast forward 2 years. November 2011. It was upon the 2 year anniversary of my Lap Band. I started out having this severe pain in my stomach and was having flu like symptoms. After being hospitalized for 9 days, they decided to remove the band. Once the Lap Band was removed I felt relief instantly. 

It's strange that I was considering getting a revision form Lap Band to Gastric Bypass eventually and that situation happened. To this day the doctor thinks that I developed a allergic reaction the band. Specifically to the silicone in the band. 

In January 2012, I decided that I would look into getting the gastric bypass. I decided to go with a different surgeon since the last surgeon I wasn't really happy with. I liked the surgeon don't get me wrong, but every time I went for an appointment I would have to wait 2-4 hours to see him even when I had an appointment scheduled. Just didn't sit well with me.  I decided to go with Dr. Joseph Moran of Raleigh, NC.  By this point the 45 pounds I lost was partially gained back. I was as low as 196 and went up to 236. My BMI wasn't quite 40 so they needed a co-morbidity. I didn't have blood pressure issues or diabetes. So they did a sleep study and found that I had moderate-severe sleep apnea. I now have a C-PAP machine that i use nightly. My husband also has one so you could imagine what both of us look like in bed together. LOL 

So the letter was sent to the insurance company at the end of February. I had completed all my necessary requirements yet I was worried that insurance company would be fickle about this being my second bariatric surgery. I found out March 1st that I was approved!! Yay!

So the next available date they had was get this.. March 28th. MY BIRTHDAY.  I felt that it was a good day to have since this was a present to myself and I would never forget that day. 

I had come to the surgery center that morning and was pretty nervous. They gave me 2 does of versed to calm me down.  Even when I got back to the OR I had asked the CRNA to pray with me as he was just about to put me under general anesthesia. I woke up after the 2 hour surgery and I was wheezing. I had a hard time breathing. I just can't explain the amount of pain I was in. It was horrible. I seriously wanted to die! They took me up to my room and I stayed there for a couple days. It wasn't the most pleasant visit, but I'm now I'm day 6 since my surgery am my incisions are healed perfectly. I saw my doctor for my post-op visit today and he was very happy. I have lost 13 pounds since my surgery last week. And I know that I will do great in the future. 

karianne
on 4/4/12 4:14 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
Hi Jessica,

I am having my revision tomorrow!!  I am having my lap-band removed (after 8 yrs) and having a revision to the gastric bypass.  I am so nervous!  It's good to see that you are doing well and feeling better!  Let's try and stay in touch!!  I will post after my surgery.  Karianne

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

Lucy21485
on 4/8/12 11:00 am
Adjustable Gastric Band on 08/20/06
That's great!

I want to revise to the sleeve becasue this band hasn't helped me. I lost about 50 pounds and that is it. I was sick all the time! I had my band put in a few days after my birthday in 2006.

What made you go with the gastric bypass and not the sleeve?
karianne
on 4/9/12 6:58 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
For me, my insurance only covered the band or bypass.  I also decided that I needed more than just another restrictive surgery like the sleeve.  So far i'm happy with my decision.  Karianne

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

maryr818
on 4/10/12 11:18 am
I will be going for my revisional surgery on April 17 after a little over 2 1/2 years with the lap band.  I lost a total of 89 lbs with the lap band but mostly through vomiting (as my band never seemed to be working with me as well!) I am pretty nervous about the revision as I know the risks involved.  I started my liquid diet today (which I didnt have to do the first time around for my lap band surgery).
Its nice to see that there are people out there in a similar boat as me *****vised from lapband to RNY.  Hopefully my nerves settle soon and i'm on the road to my goal once again.  Honestly I just want to be healthy,

Thank you for sharing your experience!

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/12 3:06 am - Bay City, MI
The band really never worked for me... Or maybe I didn't work for it. Either way, I'm having a revision in 9 days! I can't wait! I have had the band for 7.5 years and I'm ready for a change. Good luck with your revision.
Most Active