Want to convert to the sleeve

Lucy21485
on 4/8/12 11:13 am
Adjustable Gastric Band on 08/20/06
Why did you choose to go with the sleeve if you don't mind me asking.
Jenns Livin free
on 4/9/12 3:55 am
I had seen several people who had gastric bypass that gained their weight  back.  Plus, I worked with people who had serious complications from it.  I didn't really want my insides rearranged.  In addition, I am a volume eater--not a sweet eater.  I gained my weight by eating obnoxious portions, so I knew that the sleeve would be good for me.
Lovin' life...finally! Jenn
HW 324 Lapband SW 290(9/14/09)  VSG SW 254(5/23/11)  CW 210 GW 160
Approved on 3/10/2011 for Revision to VSG. Lapband removal 3/22/2011.VSG surgery 5/23/2011

Lucy21485
on 4/9/12 4:12 am
Adjustable Gastric Band on 08/20/06
So what can/do you eat and how much? Can you have sugar free cookies and ice cream?
(deactivated member)
on 4/9/12 4:57 am - Mexico
On April 9, 2012 at 11:12 AM Pacific Time, Lucy21485 wrote:
So what can/do you eat and how much? Can you have sugar free cookies and ice cream?

Keep in mind, this is all about changing food habits.  Sure, you have be sleeved and eat food that does not feed your body but with a sleeve you really don't have room for garbage food.  You barely have enough room for protein and veggies.

Jenns Livin free
on 4/9/12 6:20 am
I can eat anything--including a sandwich (ok, only 1/2 of one)!!  Even meat was hard to get down with the band, but now I can eat without worrying about throwing it back up.  I can eat about 1/2c-1c of food now (1/2 if it is just dense protein; 1 c if I vary it up--a little protein, a little veggie, etc).  I don't eat sugar free anything because I figure if I am going to have it, I will.  I have eaten ice cream, but can only eat about 1/2c. before feeling full.  There are some things that I can eat that seem to go right through--cookies--and don't fill me up.  I tend to stay away from those.  I try to be very careful about what I eat, but this isn't a diet--it is a way of life, so I will have what I want!. 

I like to eat shrimp with ****tail sauce for lunch, chicken salad, turkey sausage, eggs (1), hamburgers (homemade and usually only 1/2 of one). I do eat protein bars in the mornings.  I go for the ones that have the most protein but least sugar.  I don't do protein shakes.  If I NEVER have another protein shake in all of my life, it will be too soon!   Right after my surgery, I could only eat about 1/4c. of refried beans, cottage cheese, etc.   I couldn't even take gulps of water.  That has gotten better.  The only real struggle I have is that something tastes good and I want more!  Using a small plate has really helped with this--I eat what is there and that's that! 

I have gotten a little hunger back, but it takes the form of low blood sugar more than a gnawing in my stomach.  My body tells me it is time to eat (however, I have NEVER forgotten to eat like some people on this board--I'm not that far from "the hunger")! 

Do I still struggle?  Yes, but it is so much easier to get back on track.  For instance, I haven't really lost much in the last few months, but it was by choice.  I knew what I was doing (eating snacks, more high calorie food), but one week I decided to get back on it.  I lost 10 pounds in two weeks without even really trying--there was no conscious decision of what I was placing in my mouth, no point counting, no dying of hunger.  I just stopped eating some things, and away went the weight. 

So, do I eat more now than I did even 2 months after my surgery?  Yes, but it was to be expected.  However, I have no issue with still losing.  I have been losing for three years, and I am taking it slow.  I don't want to regain because I "killed" myself to lose the last 50 pounds!

If you have more questions, ask away!  You know, I didn't even know about the sleeve when I first got surgery.  I found out about it about 6 months after my band surgery.  It was about that time that I started having issues with the band, and I vowed to revise to sleeve.  It took a year, but I don't regret it!
Jenn
Approved on 3/10/2011 for Revision to VSG. Lapband removal 3/22/2011.VSG surgery 5/23/2011

girliegirlgirl
on 4/19/12 8:29 am
 i was glad to see your post comparing the sleev to the band.  im thinking of getting a sleev.  i had a band but had it removed in 2009 because of 2 failed bands (prolapses).  so you are saying you do not foam or slim or that those uncomforatble clogged feeling with the sleeve  correct?
Jenns Livin free
on 4/19/12 9:10 am
 Never, never, never do I foam, get stuck, slim...any of those feelings you had with the band!!  When I could first eat solid food, I was a little scared, but it only took about 2 weeks to get over that!  I can eat out without worrying about where the bathroom is, and I can go to a function without worrying if there will be anything there that I can eat.  If you can do it, you need to do it.  It is so worth it!   I am so happy with my sleeve.  In fact, I had my 1 year appoint just Tuesday, and the doctor is so impressed that they want to talk about making me a "poster child" for revisions!  If you want to know anything else, let me know!
Jenn

girliegirlgirl
on 4/19/12 11:16 am
 thats great to know that you dont have those issues that you might have gotten with a band.  im glad you emailed back because i can only ask a person who has had both and would understand.  did the ins. co give you a problem doing the sleeve.  did you have the sleev during the removal of the band operation or seperate?  can you drink during meals with the sleeve? how much have you lost so far with the sleev?
Jenns Livin free
on 4/20/12 12:21 am
 I was denied in January with a verbal request, but then submitted an official request and it was granted--we were all surprised.  I had been ready with an appeal letter and everything.  My dr. did removed the band and then 8 weeks later, I got the sleeve.  It appears that most drs. do it in one surgery, but I was glad to do it in two.  That way, I knew my stomach would have time to heal itself.  I cannot drink during meals.  It's totally different with the sleeve than the band.  The main reason they tell you not to drink while eating with the band is so the food stays in the pouch longer.  With the sleeve, if you drink, you would bring everything back up.  There is just no room in there.  I have lost 38 pounds with the sleeve.  The loss is slower because I already had the band, but it is coming off!
Jenn

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/12 1:30 pm - Mexico
On March 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM Pacific Time, Lucy21485 wrote:
Anyone revise from the Lap-band to the gastric sleeve? If so how is your progress going?

I hate my band and am ready to convert to the sleeve!

I had that stupid thing strangling my stomach for 18 months.  I did get to goal with it but I revised to stay at goal.  I've had a sleeve for almost 4 years and I've been at goal for 4 years.

If you can revise, do it!

Most Active