Want to convert to the sleeve

Lucy21485
on 3/30/12 6:57 am
Adjustable Gastric Band on 08/20/06
Anyone revise from the Lap-band to the gastric sleeve? If so how is your progress going?

I hate my band and am ready to convert to the sleeve!
TamaraL
on 3/30/12 9:53 am
when did you have the lap band put in.  Have you called your insurance to see if they will cover the revision???   That is the first step!!!

are you having any health complications, HEART BURN, anything that the dr can say is wrong to have it removed.  i had major heart burn

Tamara

Lucy21485
on 4/8/12 11:10 am

I had my surgery in 2006 and lost 50 pounds, I was sick all the time for the first year. My insurance will cover it as long as it is medically neccessary.

I have burning in my throat after I drink anything.

I had fluid taken out in Feb. and now I'm eating everything and anything cuz I have no restriction! I had a appt. earlier this week with my surgeon and told him about the burning in my throat. He said he wants to do a EGD so I'm just waiting for them to call me and get that scheduled, I also told him I wanted to convert to the sleeve.

Do you have the band as well?

kdrkkicdj15
on 4/8/12 3:05 pm
Hi,  I'm having the same burning in my throat at night , I have to jump while sleep sometimes and the burning hurts so bad had to call ask a  nurse for advise to help stop the burning of acid.  I had a EDG done my doctor said my band had slip.  Waiting on insurance approval to have removed and maybe have the sleeve done.  My doctor said this will take two surgery's.
girliegirlgirl
on 4/27/12 8:08 am
 im just curious if your dr said the sleev is risky since you had a band.  i went to one and he said he woulnt do a sleeve for me because of scar tissue.  he wanted me to do a bypass, whcih i havent considered and i do not want.  im dr shopping in the meantime.
A H.
on 4/1/12 11:13 am
Revision on 02/09/12
Yes. Lots of us. I am thrilled (8 weeks out) finally losing weight again. I had my band 4.5 years and my body is rejoicing to have that torture device out. Go for it, you will be happy you did!

Band (09/07) removed, revised to sleeve 2/9/12.

Lucy21485
on 4/8/12 11:11 am
How does it feel with the sleeve? How much have you lost so far and is it painful for the revision?
A H.
on 4/8/12 2:07 pm
Revision on 02/09/12
 The recovery with the revision was far easier for me than my original band surgery. I had a lot less pain. The sleeve feels... Like a normal stomach only smaller. I have not had any pain or vomiting eating food but I was on a really gradual plan post op, ie four weeks of clear liquids, two weeks purée, two weeks soft foods and just now being able to eat normally. I haven't tried steak yet or super dense meat. 

The feeling of satisfaction/fullness with the sleeve to me feels way better than the uncomfortable bulge above the band. Food doesn't get stuck, it's really nice.  Bandsters make good sleeve patients IMO since the rules are roughly the same. 

I have lost 42 lb since January 4 which is when I started my pre op diet. Pre band my highest was 309 so in my total journey I have lost 100 lb. but with the band I got to about 230 and then regained up to 278. I started eating low carb in Aug last year when my band was loosened enouh I actually could eat meat and veg again. Slip diagnosed in November.  My sleeve surgery weight was 235.5 and I am 209 now two months out. Considering I am. "light weight" (I guess.) and a revision I feel pretty great.

The best part at least for now is I'm not hungry. I love having a tiny little stomach not making ghrelin.

Hope that helps. Happy to answer any other questions.

Band (09/07) removed, revised to sleeve 2/9/12.

Lucy21485
on 4/9/12 4:10 am
I hope you reach your goal and thank you for responding!
Jenns Livin free
on 4/3/12 12:38 am
 I did.  I had the band for about a year and a half.  I lost 70 lbs in the first 9 months with it, and that was it (I needed to lose 140 to be at goal).  I would get to a certain fill level and then not be able to eat.  I would get fluid out and be able to eat anything.  I decided that I had had it.  I tried to get approval in January of 2011--was denied verbally.  Then in March, I submitted all paperwork and dug my heels in for a fight.  Amazingly, I was approved.  I had my band out in late March of 2011 and my sleeve done in late May of 2011.  I have lost 52 lbs since then.  It is not a lot, but I have probably not been the best patient.  Anyway, I am doing it my way.  
I love my sleeve.  I can eat without worrying about puking anything back up.  I have constant restriction (although I am convinced that I could eat a small house right before that time of the month!).  If you can do it, I highly suggest doing it! Plus, I was amazed at the complication that have arisen in just the three years that I got the band!
Jenn
Lovin' life...finally! Jenn
HW 324 Lapband SW 290(9/14/09)  VSG SW 254(5/23/11)  CW 210 GW 160
Approved on 3/10/2011 for Revision to VSG. Lapband removal 3/22/2011.VSG surgery 5/23/2011

Most Active