Inquiring about revision (Rny to possible Lap band)

DeeDee_Cole
on 3/28/12 10:04 pm
I had RNY surgery in May 04.  Lost down to 185 from 400 but have gained back to 300.   I'm miserable and in severe pain from knee issues.  My ortho says that he can get a revision approved because it's "medically necessary" because of the severe arthritis in my knees and need to avoid knee replacement at this weight.   In the last year is when I've put on a majority of the weight because I was in a horrific car wreck last April that left me immobile for 6 months and am just now gaining back my activity level and strength. 

I've also been diagnosed (since my RNY) as having thyroid problems and anemia and losing weight now is the worst struggle EVER.   Before my surgery I was healthy as a horse other than being morbidly obese.   (such pleasant words aren't they?) 

I'm praying that looking into this is not a waste of time.  Any thought or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

**extra details**
Original surgeon was Celieo Burrowes in ATL.
Still living in ATL.
PCN
on 3/29/12 12:20 am
I'm sorry that you have to go through this! I'm also looking into an RNY to lapband revision, and I also had surgery in 2004...kind of compelled me to post and say, "Hello, you aren't alone!!!"

Pam
DeeDee_Cole
on 3/29/12 5:53 am
I know a LOT of people that had surgery back in or around 04 going in for revision.  Some have had the Lap Bad, other had their pouch reduced?!?  I never thought this would be even a possibility.  I'm not sure my insurance will even cover it.   I know I can't afford to be a self-pay. 

I'm just stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Good luck to you as well!
Dee Dee
smileyjamie72
on 3/29/12 2:32 am - Palmer, AK

Please do your due dilligance to yourself, and research ALL of the revision options avaliable to you.
There is BOB, which is what you are considering (Band Over Bypass)
RNY to RNY
RNY to DS

That way, you make the BEST decision that is right for YOU!!!!  Good LUCK in your journey!!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

DeeDee_Cole
on 3/29/12 5:54 am
Right now the first part of the search is just finding a surgeon that will work with me.  The one my doctor referred me to won't handle a revision.  I'm not giving up - I'll find one. 

Thanks for the inspiration.

Dee Dee
heathercross
on 3/29/12 11:24 pm - New York, NY
 Dee Dee, I think your first step is to get a CT Scan of your abdomen to ascertain your pouch size as well as an endoscopy. The script can be written from your PCP if you don't have a surgeon yet or you can weight till you find one.  Whether or not a revision will be allowed will depend on a lot of things but they will need to show mechanical failure or a stretched pouch, etc.  Your new BMI and knee issues alone will qualify you for a "new" surgery but not sure if you have a "baratric rider" on your policy.  Most new ones say 1 WLS lifetime but that is per carrier not total and also allow for revisions which isn't considered a "new" surgery. I agree with the others, do your research, do what is rght for you.  I had a BOB last June and I am loving my life again. I am almost back to my post-RNY weight of 175.  Best of luck to you in whatever you chose.
Hislady
on 3/29/12 11:50 am - Vancouver, WA
I'm sure there are several options, good luck to you finding a surgeon, there has to be one out there!
DeeDee_Cole
on 3/29/12 8:01 pm
Well - Ive found 2 surgeons in my area - but the problem is my insurance has an exclusion for bariatric surgery.   Gonna be a harder battle than I thought now! 
michelehei
on 3/30/12 8:25 am
 Hi,

I don't know if self pay is an option for you but if it is Dr. Gagner in Montreal has a good self pay price.  He also is an excellent surgeon.  Let me know if you have any questions.
Kim
PCN
on 4/1/12 7:51 am

I'm also wondering what my insurance will do. I don't have the same insurance before, and although I have read information regarding an exclusion, I have also seen information allowing for surgery and revisions if certain qualifications are met. It's so complicated! Thankfully, the program I had initially gone with has patient advocates, so hopefully she'll take care of me and leave no "loophole" unturned.

Pam

Most Active