Revision to DS???

whatthehair
on 3/27/12 11:25 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 I am pre-op, and just wondering a few things. I am awaiting my first appointment with the surgeon's office, and hoping for surgery sometime this summer. I am actually hoping for a DS to be honest with you!
When I first began my researching process 3 years ago, I automatically leaned toward the DS, then my surgeon I was going to use did NOT offer the DS. So then I had it in my mind that maybe I would do fine with just the Sleeve VSG. Now that I have found a surgeon in my area who WILL perform the DS, I'm leaning toward that again. I feel like it's the best option for me.
So I guess my question is this........
        If you have had a previous WLS and have already gotten a revision, or are hoping to revise your surgery, what are you revising from? and what are you revising to? It seems I am finding a lot of people revising to the DS. I think this will help me ensure that I am picking the right surgery. I am just trying to ask a few more questions, you know, just to BE SURE............

Thanks for all of your help everyone!!!

If you really knew me, you'd see my heart is honest and pure, your painful words will push me forward on my journey and NOT knock me down! I will succeed this time, for I have the support of a 50 story building, and the love to last a thousand lifetimes! It's time for me to LOVE ME!

He who can't be Named
on 3/28/12 11:26 am
So, you aren't a revision, but a virgin surgery? That's fortunate. There is no question the DS is the best surgery, but once you've had RNY, it's apparently a very big deal to have it revised to DS if/when the RNY fails. A much riskier surgery than just having it done the first time. 

I'm revising to the sleeve or DS. The DS is more likely, considering I know I have metabolic problems, and need the help with my cholesterol, but need to come to terms with taking vitamins every day. 

I've done my research this time. I wish I'd done better research before the crap band the first time, but trusted my surgeon, and now know he only did RNY or band, and wouldn't send away a paying customer. 

Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
smileyjamie72
on 3/29/12 2:37 am - Palmer, AK
 I had the RNY in 2002.  I did not have access to the internet (no home computer) and my surgeon did not do the DS.............. So, I never knew it exsisted when I was researching in 2000, 2001.

I just revised from RNY to DS 3 months ago TODAY, and am HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!  I fought insurance nearly 3 years to get my revision!!!!!!!!!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active