Many questions within...can anyone help?

Guernica Loser
on 3/24/12 2:22 pm, edited 3/24/12 2:25 pm
 Hi everyone,  I'm a bander and it it actually worked for me...but I have some other health problems that derailed me.  I have vasculitis and an autoimmune disease.  I have been on chemo (small dose weekely) and daily prednisone.  When I had LB surgery I was at a low pred rate of 5mg. I was doing great losing weight and my diseases were "quiet".  Well, I eventually had a ton of stress in my life (major events) that caused a bad flare and I was put on 80mg of prednisone and had to add a bunch of medications.  As I was on these high doses I gained about 25 pounds back (not too shabby considering I gained over 150 pounds when I was first diagnosed).  As I was having the flare that's when the band went funky.  My restriction was even more haphazard.  So tight one hour and loose another hour.  It was quite difficult.  Pred makes you terribly hungry and in order to get any food in I would eat sliders since I was so tight and then vomit and then be tighter etc etc.  I had some fluid removed so I could eat again.  My surgeon, and he's good, does not understand prednisone.  He just blames me that I can't lose now, which makes me not want to go back to him for any sort of fill or advice.

Well, as I lowered pred I did lose some of my weight gain (water I'm sure), but I cannot lose ANYTHING anymore.  My thyroid is ok.  I workout hard 3 days a week with a trainer for over an hour.  I do eat more carbs than before, but not horrible.  And.... MY BAND is still so fickle after that flare.  I don't want to be fat anymore.  :(  It's hard enough being so dang sick and then to add to it the weight it's just not worth living sometimes.  

My doctors that treat my diseases wanted me to have the band in case my disease attacked my stomach or intestines again and worried malabsorption would hinder the medications I take, but you know what???  I think being this fat, at this point, is more dangerous than my diseases.  I'm in a drug induced remission again (yea!!!) and down to 3mg of pred.  I think malabsorption is the best surgery for me especially if I have to go on high pred again.

So, here are some of my questions:

1. Since I'm not having any serious issues with the band (ie leaking or slipped) am I candidate for revision due to failure under MEDICARE?  I still have comorbidities.  And let's face it...being over 300 pounds with a rare disease isn't ideal.

2. Would DS be best considering my experience with pred? (if I had to, god forbid, go up to 80mg again and eat more)...I'm finding I'm more of a grazer now.  The volume thing is GONE for me. (which is a good thing).

3.  I have no idea where to start or how to start :(  I'm just so tired of fighting my diseases and my weight

4.  ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.  And please no bashing.  I already hate myself.  I really think the band would have worked for me had I not had that flare.  If I didn't have the band I know I would have gained a ton more back during the flare.

Finally, thank you for any information..espcially regarding medicare and surgery ideas.
I've been on prednisone and chemo for over 7.5 years.  Gained over 160 pounds due to pred. Highest wt. 410. Surgery wt. 365. Current wt. 299
See ya,400s, 90s,80s,70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, 10s 300s!!!!  

shele
on 3/25/12 4:36 am

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

mrdoores
on 3/25/12 10:30 am - Waldorf, MD
Shele, did you move to the proboards, haven't heard from you.  How is  your revision weight loss doing?  Did you revise from the ERNY?

Thanks, Marianna

shele
on 3/25/12 9:06 pm

No, unfortunately I am not in a postition to get a revision at this time.

My weight loss is the same, I lost about 50 pounds, had a 10 pound re-gain. I maintain very easily, but can't seem to loose more.

As of late, I am having significant issues with hypoglycemia. It does not matter what I eat, it still happens.  I don't get so low that I pass out, but I get terrible "brain fog". I was in a class the other day to prepare for testing for an employment opportunity. I was doing great, I started feeling "shaky" inside. I lost total concentration doing simple math problems.  It is very frustrating, to say the least.  I have the test this morning. I am affraid to eat, and afraid not to.

I will revise in the next couple of years, when family obligations diminish somewhat. I urge anyone reading this to please research what your options are. DO NOT SETTLE, for a quick fix!

Thanks for asking!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

mrdoores
on 3/26/12 2:05 am - Waldorf, MD
Thanks for answering back and giving good infomation. I hope all goes well for you,  take care of yourself and good luck with all you do.

Most Active