My doc said revision doesn't work!

SteffieBear15
on 3/23/12 3:54 am - Medford, MA
Revision on 10/29/12
 My surgeons office told me that theu stopped doing revisions because in the end you end up the same and there are many possible complications. I have had an endoscopy and know that my pouch is stretched as is my stoma... anyone care to share their success story of revision? Anyone have a revision with a different doc from the original?

Stefanie - RNY 5.31.0 BOB revision 10.29.12

SW 234/CW 190/GW 160

gi_bode
on 3/23/12 5:09 am
Stef, I moved to the west coast and have a different doctor for revision. My doctor does them, but in my case he wants to save that for the last resort. He told me he doesn't make the same money telling me to eat right and bring in some exercise, he makes money putting me on the table 5 times and dealing with the complications! I whined about having arthritis, and he told me I had to move SOMEHOW. I was eating anything I wanted, keeping up with my non-diet needing husband. The day before I saw Dr. Dally I put down a salad that was 4 cups of stuff, including ham and salami and drowning in ranch dressing. And I was eating fried chicken like it was going out of style. I was grazing all day. I could not keep from drinking and eating, so I was always hungry.

So now I am writing down what I eat, backing off on the bad stuff (diluting what I can't yet replace)
and I DO WAIT before I drink. I tried that last night and I actually did not feel hungry for the rest of the night and that is the worst time for me.

Exercise is the next good habit I am working on. My hubby has gotten me a pedaler to help.

Don't give up. There are things like bands over the pouch, and more shortening of the small intestine.  And I am very sure that there will be many revisions coming in and telling you not to sweat it, I still hope for it if nothing else works, so I'm not advising against it.

good luck in any case,
gi
open RNY December 21, 2010
St. Vincent's Charity Hospital

divakay2
on 3/23/12 9:02 am
I would disagree that revisions don't work it depends what went wrong with your original surg. Dr Roslin explains some things in this presentation
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4416755/Must-Read-Trans cript-of-Dr-Roslins-Presentation-to-ASMBS-on/

I hope this help you with your journey......................Kenya

smileyjamie72
on 3/23/12 3:25 pm - Palmer, AK

Your doc is either mis-informd, or FLAT OUT LYING to you.  Plain & simple.

Not sure if you are thinking of looking into the DS, but here is the publication that "Seled the Deal" for my decision!!!!!!!!

I went from RNY to DS.            Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.dssurgery.com/about/publications/duodenal-switch-safe-operation.pdf

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

adnerb
on 3/24/12 2:17 am
Hi Stefanie,
I am not sure if I read your stats correctly or if they are current. Do you only have a few pounds to lose? I had RNY done lap with Dr. Ken Champion in Atlanta in 2000. He has since retired. I had a revision to the DS last Dec. 2011. My starting weight before RNY was 300. I lost down to 150 for about a minute and then spent the next 11 years struggling to stay around 200 #. I had other issues and complications with the RNY and went to Dr. Stewart in Denton, TX for the revison done lap as well. I live in Oklahoma and traveled both times. My current insurance does not cover any WLS, so I was self-pay. This may all be more than you wanted to know...but hope something in my experience answers some questions! I am a little over 3 months post-op, have had no comlications and the revision from RNY to DS is a complicated surgery. Only a few surgeons in world are experienced in doing these revisions. I have lost over 40# so far and feel wonderful. The DS not unlike the RNY requires committment to lifetime labs and vits as well as diet high in protein. Read up more about it as dsfacts.com. Good luck with whatever you decide. Message me if you have any other questions!
Brenda
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/24/12 5:06 am
If they are a RNY surgeon, and revising to another type of RNY, then pretty much yes, and you are dodgeing a bullet. 

If you want a shot at success, look into a revision to DS. There are only a handful of surgeons that can do the RNY to DS revison though, so will almost certainly have to travel.

posted 12:05pm 3/24/12
Chrissy8964
on 3/28/12 12:10 pm
 My doctor saids same thing, I drove 150miles to hear that,I just wish he told me that the first vist.
diane
on 4/10/12 3:25 am - Covington, LA
My original surgeon told me there was nothing to do.  He said I had made poor choices and that the only thing he could offer was to remove my entire stomach and connect my esophagus to my intestines.   He talked in circles.  He referred me to another surgeon.  I saw a different surgeon in the group of the referral.  He did an endoscopy and saw that yes my pouch is stretched.  If I had listened to my original surgeon I'd just give up.   I'm chugging along trying to cut back on things  pushing more water and moving.   I'm patiently waiting to hear that I have been approved for revision.
Monique H.
on 4/12/12 2:36 am
I'm just copying part of what I posted to someone else on another thread. According to the Independent Medical Review that I had done when fighting for a revision to the DS they said that having a revision to something similiar to the original surgery should not be done and basically wouldn't work. That being said I revised to DS and it worked.  I had rny and stopped losing weight after 6 months. After working with my surgeon he decided to revise me to a distal rny. I only lost 36 more pounds but ended up with reactive hypoglycemia. Fought insurance and won in order to be revised to ds. It wasn't an easy thing and I actually thought my weight loss was over once I reached 173 pounds. I was ok with this because I figured once I had plastics I would be able to reach 165 which was my goal that I decided I would be okay with once I saw that I wasn't losing the way that I thought I would be. Well I had plastics and removed 6.5 pounds which took me to 166.5 but for some reason I started losing weight again. As of this morning I weigh 132 pounds and I'm 5'5.5!
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Most Active