Has anyone else had a revision after a micropouch with a low BMI?

J T
on 3/21/12 9:34 am - Brooklyn, NY
Hello,

I am 7 years post-op and have gained about 50lbs since my lowest/goal weight.
I have a BMI of 31.9 now which some may concider too low for a revision but Ive tried everything to lose the weight and nothing works. I eat right, excersize but the past 3 years I feel hungry a lot and can eat a lot more.

Has anyone else had a revision after a micropouch (performed by Dr. Sapala)?
I want to know what to do. I feel lost.

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks,

JT
Hislady
on 3/21/12 2:07 pm - Vancouver, WA
I'm not real familiar with your surgery but I know they are doing band over bypass on RNYs. Not sure how successful they are but you might research that option.
Zee Starrlite
on 3/26/12 12:43 am

Wood-Sapala were making their pouches the size of a grape   no band on there hun.

Hope you are very well  and that you have a great day

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

He who can't be Named
on 3/22/12 11:34 am
Your surgery is only done by Sapala and Wood as far as I know, so you may have a tough time finding anyone else. 

Do you know if they left the remnant stomach inside you? I would think that would be necessary for a revision surgeon to have anything to work with. They supposedly make the micro pouch the size of a grape, which wouldn't give a revision surgeon much to work with unless there is the remnant stomach to use. In standard RNY, they DO have the remnant stomach, so hopefully you do too. 

I would ask one of the top revision guys, and only one of the top guys, which are Kesheshian and Rabkin, both in CA. There may be another somewhere who would agree to try something, but you don't need to be a guinea pig in any more procedures, or lose any tissue that may limit your future options. Please contact one of those surgeons, and see what they say. 

Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
(deactivated member)
on 3/24/12 10:57 pm
I'm amazed people  with a micropouch can regain.  I have an extra large pouch and can outeat ( 3x )  my hubby  who has a regular ERNY  and tite small pouch ...

gosh i hate WL struggles !
Zee Starrlite
on 3/26/12 12:40 am
JT that Wood-Sapala micro pouch is real tricky.  I started off getting banded by that team - The Cori Center.  No way to know about your inside until they are personally looked at.  Some people have been accepted for revisision and some have not been.  You have to go to the very heavy hitters, the experts - go to the DS forum.

All the best to you JT.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

ginany
on 4/29/12 8:01 am - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12

FYI I just had my micropouch to DS Revision on 4/23/12 with DR Mitchell Roslin.  Im doing fine.  My BMI was 41.  Yours is low,  a consult wont hurt.

Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

FaeryGodsister
on 11/23/12 3:59 am - Eastpointe, MI

Hey there ~

I, too, am a long ago Micropouch recipient of Dr. Sapala. I had my open RNY in 2000, lost 170 lbs, and began a slow re-gain of 70-ish pounds over the last 5 years or so. I consulted with Dr. Marek Lutrzykowski in West Bloomfield, MI regarding my options for revision. I had my Scope done, and while my itty bitty pouch is still as itty as ever, my stoma has completely dilated and there is no more restriction. The food just flows on through, and I'm always starving. I can still only eat small amounts as ever, but my pouch never stays full. This is a problem. At 43 years old, I've got arthritis and bursitis in the creaky old hips, and it's not as easy getting around as it once was. My biggest fear is to gain it all back eventually, and REALLY be immobilized.

Anyhoo, Dr L explained to me that there is so very little pouch to work with, until he get's in there, he can't say for sure if he'll be able to do the sleeve portion of the DS. It's a possibility that he'll have to skip that, maybe try to tighten up my stoma, and complete the procedure further down. His record and experience with the revision procedures is impeccible. I especially find it a God-Send that practicing in the same area that Dr Sapala had practiced for so long, he is more than familiar with the Micropouch. He has explained to me all of the possible outcomes, as well as risks, and I totally and completely trust him to do whatever will be best for me. I found him on DSFacts.com, and he's a real pro.

My Revision is set for next Wed, 11/23/12... wish me luck!

I hope someone found this helpful!!

pineview01
on 11/24/12 2:22 am - Davison, MI

Hope all went well.  Waiting for an update!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

FaeryGodsister
on 11/25/12 10:16 pm - Eastpointe, MI

OOPS... my revision is on 11/28/12...2 more days. I'll get back and let you all know how it went...

Most Active