Trouble with revision of band to sleeve in one surgery

lbdunavant
on 3/18/12 1:44 am
After wisiting with several doctors, I have had two drs. willing to complete the revision in one surgery and two wanting to make it two completely separate surgeries.  I don't know if this is for monetary reasons or what.  Has anyone out there under gone the revision in one surgical setting?  Any difficulties?  Leaks?
TamaraL
on 3/18/12 2:02 am
I think the reason they want to do 2 surgeries is because of the scar tissue or damage that the band can cause.

I had no problems with 1 surgery

Tamara

AnnMarie
on 3/18/12 4:02 am
VSG on 04/10/12
I am about to go through this procedure (next month)--my doctor seems fairly conservative and he is willing to do it in one surgery. I expect to take one week off of my low activity job. :)

Good luck!

AnnMarie  vsg 4/10/12 Age: 41, Height: 5'2ish
       Banded '04 PreOp BMI 64, PreOp for VSG: BMI 55, SW BMI: 50 

TamaraL
on 3/18/12 6:39 am
Ann Marie

I have a desk job and still took 2 weeks off.  I was very sore.  I was only cut one place to remove the band and do the bypass. 

Be careful and don't go back to works too soon!!!

Tamara

AnnMarie
on 3/18/12 7:19 am
VSG on 04/10/12
Thanks Tamara, I appreciate your input--I'm hoping it won't be too bad, I've actually had multiple surgeries due to surgeon issues in the past. When I had my band put in, I took a week off but could have easily gone back to a very active job in about 3 days. Cross your fingers I bounce back from this one, too! :)

am

AnnMarie  vsg 4/10/12 Age: 41, Height: 5'2ish
       Banded '04 PreOp BMI 64, PreOp for VSG: BMI 55, SW BMI: 50 

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 3/20/12 8:37 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
my surgeon said that there is less than a 20% chance that he WON'T be able to remove the band and revise to bybass , I sure hope he can cause I don't think I can live through this tension/fear again!!!
Best wishes

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/12 10:35 am - Mexico
On March 18, 2012 at 8:44 AM Pacific Time, lbdunavant wrote:
After wisiting with several doctors, I have had two drs. willing to complete the revision in one surgery and two wanting to make it two completely separate surgeries.  I don't know if this is for monetary reasons or what.  Has anyone out there under gone the revision in one surgical setting?  Any difficulties?  Leaks?

If you do not have a slip or erosion  ANY revision surgeon can do it in one surgery.  Matter of fact, it is the Standard of Care in the US and MX to do it in one surgery when possible.  Two surgeries means double the anesthesia risk, double the infection, double the surgical risks, the whole bit.

If you can do it in one surgery, go for it!  It's not that big of a deal for most of us.  The surgeons who are unsure of their skill, the surgeons who are not actual revision surgeons... those are the guys that need two surgeries.

lbdunavant
on 3/23/12 11:09 pm
Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, the surgeons here want too much money when it gets to the bottom line and I am concerned about safety in Mexico this time.  I may just have my band removed or have a port revision. Any thoughts on that?
He who can't be Named
on 3/25/12 11:07 am
Does your surgeon know of something already going on that will require healing? If not, go with the surgeon that can do it in one.

That said, I was supposed to be able to get a sleeve when my band was removed, but I woke up without one due to erosion. He said I needed to heal first, so you MAY not get what you thin****il they are inside you and really see what's going on.

Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
Most Active