Help! How much weight did you lose after the revision?

lbdunavant
on 3/16/12 7:28 am
Long story short....I have a 2 1/2 yr. old band.  It has a leak in the tubing.  After about 9 months of leak, I have regained 30 lbs.  I can either have tubing (port revision) done or the sleeve.  Problem is insurance won't pay because I am no longer over 30  BMI....29.6.  I want to know if I am going to lose that 30 lbs. I've gained and the additional 20 that was my goal or if I am just throwing money away by having the sleeve.  Any advice....FYI ...I wasn't the greatest eater in the world...whch got me here in the first place.  HELP!
TamaraL
on 3/16/12 12:44 pm
Before having any revision you need to really find out why  you have gained weight and figure out how you are going to do things different.  you can eat around any surgery, including the sleeve, rny, band. 

I truly believe that before having revision surgery everybody needs to see a psycholgoist familiar with WLS and have several follow ups.

Do I think you can lose the weight with the sleeve, no problem.  The hard part with revision surgery is keeping the weight off.  I had the bypass and I exercise and work my butt off to maintain my weight loss.

Hislady
on 3/16/12 1:11 pm - Vancouver, WA
If your regain was solely from the leak not giving enough restriction then a sleeve should help you accomplish your goals but you do still have to follow proper eating and exercise. At least with the sleeve you have instant restriction that doesn't need tweeking. Good luck to you!
lbdunavant
on 3/18/12 1:35 am
Thanks for that input.  As it has become easier and easier to eat whatever...that's exactly what I have done.  My eating has become terrible. 
Angela R.
on 3/20/12 9:23 am - Jewett City, CT
So far I have lost a total of 95 lbs since my revision to bypass from the band.. well worth it for me..
Angela 
Revision Surgery from Lapband to Gastric Bypass... 1/3/11
Start 290 / Now 208/oal 180 (Doctor set goal)

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/12 10:33 am - Mexico
On March 16, 2012 at 2:28 PM Pacific Time, lbdunavant wrote:
Long story short....I have a 2 1/2 yr. old band.  It has a leak in the tubing.  After about 9 months of leak, I have regained 30 lbs.  I can either have tubing (port revision) done or the sleeve.  Problem is insurance won't pay because I am no longer over 30  BMI....29.6.  I want to know if I am going to lose that 30 lbs. I've gained and the additional 20 that was my goal or if I am just throwing money away by having the sleeve.  Any advice....FYI ...I wasn't the greatest eater in the world...whch got me here in the first place.  HELP!

I had a revision from band to sleeve almost 4 years ago.  I was actually below goal at the time of my revision, I looked like a stick. I honestly thought I would at least be able to maintain post op but there was no way, I lost the first few months anyway hard as I tried.  With a sleeve the first six months you just can't help but to lose.

The band isn't going to last forever.  It just isn't.  I know of one person that has had a band for 10 years and is still happy and i've communicated with literally thousands of people.  I currently work for a surgeon, we don't have any band patients long term that are happy.  The guy I work for won't even DO bands anymore because he knows they'll eventually be back for a revision.

If you have to have surgery anyway I'd opt for a sleeve and be done with it once and for all.
Most Active