need help and advice about revision

alljoy2012
on 3/16/12 1:57 am
i hope the 3rd time is a charm. i have posted(i think) on the wrong board. i had RNY on april 19, 2005. i lost 80 lbs in a year and no more. i kept the weight off for about 3 and a half years. i had no problems with my surgery, stuck to the diet and exercised every day. on july 15, 2009 i had what i thought was a stomach ache from eating something i shouldn't have. i went to the er and imagine my surprise when i was told that i would be having emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction and hole in my lower intestines, hernia repair and multiple adhesions. i did well with this and was back to work in 3 weeks. since that operation the pounds have come back. i have regained 70 pounds. i have followed my diet. i don't exercise every day but i do exercise 5 days a week. for the past 4 months i get a pain on my upper right side immediately after i eat or drink ANYTHING. i have had the following tests:upper endoscopy, colonoscopy, abdominal ultrasound and ct scan of my abdomen. all of them were normal except the abdominal ultrasound which showed "a larger space" in my upper right side. i know i am not crazy and it is not normal for me to have this pain. when i got my RNY i knew nothing about the DS. if i had i would NEVER have gotten the RNY. i am thankful for this board because i now know that i am not alone in my regain. any help or suggestions are much appreciated.   
IleneRachel
on 3/16/12 4:01 am, edited 3/16/12 4:02 am - Massapequa, NY
Please don't blame the RNY! Your problems could be caused by many things..... from doctor's error (doing the procedure incorrectly or just not making the pouch or stoma small enough to start with), to just your body's reaction to "things." If you did any research (or your dr did his job beforehand in educating you) before the surgery, you should have known there were risks involved - including things like hernias and bowel obstructions (which can be caused by your not chewing food enough before swallowing). That said, you need to continue to search for the cause of your pain and a solution to it. Talk to your doctors. Switch doctors if need be until you find one who helps you. A dr who is very familiar with RNY, etc., (a bariatric surgeon) is probably your best bet. I wish you luck and hope you find a solution quickly! {{{HUGS}}} ♥ ~ Ilene Rachel
Hislady
on 3/16/12 1:06 pm - Vancouver, WA
If you still have a gall bladder it usually presents with pain in the upper right side, kinda under the rib cage. I agree tho you should find a doc that will continue seeking the cause of the pain. No one should have pain especially without a reason!
Most Active