Revision question

itsmekaren
on 3/14/12 1:24 pm - Waxahachie, TX
I am 9 years out having Gastric Bypass. Midline I think, And have been thinking about some sort of revision. I originally lost from 416 to 190, I am now 225 and wish to lose what i've gained and more. Can anyone advice me on which procedure would work best for me? I'm thinking Band over Bypass, or revision to DS. My doctor seems to think I'd stop losing after 30 pounds.. I'd like to hear from people that have had revisions.. Thank you
Ladytazz
on 3/14/12 2:20 pm
You best chance would be a revision to the DS.  You need a skilled surgeon to do this complicated surgery, though.  Your surgeon most likely doesn't do it.  I heard the best are in California, Dr. Rabkin and Dr. Keshishian.  There are others, too.  Ask on the DS board.
One thing to know is that revisions often lose slower and not as much as virgin surgeries.  I'm not sure why.
Have you had your current surgery checked to see if the pouch has stretched or the stoma enlarged?
Your doctor may be right, it may not be worth having major surgery to only lose 30 lbs but of course there is no way of knowing how much you would lose.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

itsmekaren
on 3/14/12 2:28 pm - Waxahachie, TX
yes i have had a upper GI, and also been scoped.. my stoma has stretched out.. I want a revision that will last and i wont have to be revised again..
(deactivated member)
on 3/23/12 11:29 am - Mexico
On March 14, 2012 at 9:28 PM Pacific Time, itsmekaren wrote:
yes i have had a upper GI, and also been scoped.. my stoma has stretched out.. I want a revision that will last and i wont have to be revised again..

That would be DS and not a band.  Look up band stats, heck... check out Allergan's own website.  88% have complications and that's on a virgin stomach.

BUT.... RNY to DS carries a whole lot more risk.  It's a choice only you can make.
adnerb
on 3/15/12 8:40 am
Check with Dr. Daryl Stewart in Denton, TX. He is a very good surgeon...does do the RNY to DS revision and has a very helpful and knowledgable staff. Do a lot of research of all your options and read the boards! Best wishes with whatever you decide.
Hislady
on 3/15/12 9:44 am - Vancouver, WA
I agree with the others even tho I've not had a revision, The DS seems to be the best for permanent loss.
IleneRachel
on 3/15/12 1:12 pm - Massapequa, NY
I, too, am thinking of having a revision to my bypass (RNY). From what I've read and from what I've been told by my Bariatric Surgeons, about such revisions, the Rose Procedure (where they endoscopically go in and tighten up the pouch and/or stoma via internal anchor clamps) tends to result in only around a 30-lb weight loss. No one is really sure why there isn't a greater weight loss. In order to lose more than that (which I want), a procedure like the Band over Bypass (essentially adding a lap band to the already bypassed system) results in a larger loss, and is what I'd wind up doing. 

Revisions are treated like first-time bariatric surgeries in many ways. They require most, if not all, of the same pre-bypass preparations and a committment to following the eating restrictions, exercise, and attending support group sessions that help to make the revision successful. 

Hope this info helps!
divakay2
on 3/16/12 12:12 am
I would check into Dr Roslin at Lenox Hill the rose proceedure doesn't work and no real longterm studies on the BOB........Kenya
IleneRachel
on 3/16/12 3:41 am, edited 3/16/12 3:50 am - Massapequa, NY
I did say that the Rose Procedure has only limited success. As for the BOB, the Bariatric surgical practice I would use has been doing it for a while and they have had very good success with it. I am still looking into things. I don't believe in just jumping into things; especially important things like this. :-) BTW - I was born at Lenox Hill Hospital. LOL
He who can't be Named
on 3/25/12 11:11 am
I'm not seeing great numbers from the BOB either. Maybe not as dismal are rose or stomaphyx, but not enough that it's worth the extra surgery. The only positive I hear about it is from places "selling" it. 
Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
Most Active