RP: Question about Band to Sleeve revision

EBL8181
on 3/14/12 12:28 pm - Boston, MA
Hi there! I am considering revising to my sleeve - even if insurance won't pay. I think I have hit rock bottom with my band.

I was banded in October 2010. The most I lost was 40 lbs. RIght now I am at about 20.

My question is this: when you revise, do you have to go through the same pre-surgery screening process we did when we first had surgery? I'm willing to wait, but not looking forward to another surgery, and would prefer to get it over with!

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!
Ladytazz
on 3/14/12 2:26 pm
I would think it depends on your insurance.  My insurance doesn't make people jump through some of the hoops that other insurance companies do.  Have you given them a call and asked them the requirements?
Some insurance companies require at least 2 years before a revision, too, or some kind of mechanical failure of the band such as slippage.  The only way to know is to ask.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

amyc
on 3/25/12 3:22 am - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12
I was a self pay both times.   The only thing I needed for my revision was a letter from my PCP stating I was healthy enough for surgery & pre op blood work.   My BMI was low enough that I didn't have to do a pre-op diet either.

Good luck!
Amy

AnnMarie
on 3/25/12 4:32 am
VSG on 04/10/12
Hello,

I was banded in 2004 with many complications and just kind of gave up until some of the compications started to scare me :( I have connected with a new surgeon and am scheduled for a sleeve next month.
My insurance did not require me to go through the process again. I was seen by the new surgeon's office and had an UGI prior to that appointment. I did have a surgical note from a non related surgeon/surgery where he had noted issues he could see with the band when he was in there for something else (galbladder)
I was prepared to do the whole process again and was shocked when the approval came back. I assumed I would need to do a least a chunk of the jumping through hoops, especially since it has been almost 8 years since the lap band surgery.
The surgeon's office is only requiring the normal clearance from my PCP, check xray, ekg, and blood work. :)
Best to you!

am

AnnMarie  vsg 4/10/12 Age: 41, Height: 5'2ish
       Banded '04 PreOp BMI 64, PreOp for VSG: BMI 55, SW BMI: 50 

ceedott
on 4/2/12 11:01 pm - PA
question what kind of insurance did you have?? i was banded in 4/2009 was having very good weight lost but then i start having problems pain on my side,pain at the port site,stop having restriction  and i've been having alot of consitpation,heart burn,can't really digust food have to take zantec every other day and when i went to a new dr b/c my dr who did my surgery doesn't do revision so i went to see another dr..they did test test and it seems like my port is bent i don't know if these are reasons to have revision surgery but i want it out bc getting a fill doesn't work bc the liquid doesn't seem to be filling up in the band and i still don't have any restriction with 4cc in the band i need help and insite to whats the next step..don't know if my insurance is going to cover revision..KHPE i want to convert to the sleeve..any advice
band2sleeve_2012
on 4/5/12 11:33 am
I have United Health Care. My band had slipped is reason for removal.  Insurance required an updated psych evaluation to do sleeve.  Surgeon required updated attend education class and attend at least one support group and visit with dietician.  I also have to see my PCP for a pre-surgery physical within 30 days before either surgery (law). 

No redo of six month weight loss attempts or other hoops.  Only a two day liquid diet preceding revision. 

5'6"     HW+SW 300      CW 214      GW 170 
                                        Lap Band Removed 1/16/2012  Sleeved 4/24/2012          

Most Active