Can a RNY be revised?

preacher
on 3/11/12 11:04 am
Is it possible to revise and rny and how?
NameChange2012
on 3/12/12 10:24 pm
Revision on 05/24/12
Yes.  I'm in the process of preparing for a revision now.  I had an RNY almost 3 years ago.  I had an endoscopy in January which revealed that my stoma was stretched.  So, my surgeon's plan is to go in and surgically make the stoma smaller again, and also reduce the size of my stomach pouch.

That said, before the endoscopy, the surgeon also said another option was to bypass more intestines, which could have been done in addition to the above.

Some people revise their surgery completely from RNY to a DS.  I haven't done much research on this option, but my understanding is that it is very complicated and only a few surgeons in the country are actually well versed in this procedure.  I believe it's complicated because they put everything from your RNY back together and then do the DS surgery (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

So, the simple answer to your question is, yes, you can revise an RNY.  But the other part of that you need to look at is "why" you need to revise.  Something I'm exploring with my therapist now.
Yes, it could be purely a result of a botched operation.  Lots of people have had mechanical failures with the lapband.  I assume people have had mechanical issues with the RNY.  A stretched stoma, could be considered a "mechanical failure"...but for me, I'm looking at what I did to stretch it in the first place.  Revising the surgery isn't going to work if I'm going to maintain whatever I'm doing now to have stretched it in the first place
Hislady
on 3/13/12 8:23 am - Vancouver, WA
You have a top notch surgeon in Dr. Davis so please discuss with him the possibilities. You can also have a lap band put over your RNY called BOB or band over bypass. Good luck to you!
Most Active