RNY Revision

pamela M.
on 2/27/12 12:22 am - whitesboro, NY
 Hi everyone, I had the RNY done in 2005 I was 270lbs and lost about 105 lbs after having children and being a stay at home mom, I am back up to 220 lbs I do not want to be in the same place I was at before the surgery. I have contacted my old surgen about a revision. I have an apt in about two months. Has anyone had a revison with success? What type of revision did you have? Did you insurance pay for it? Any advice would help. Thanks so much Pam in NY
heathercross
on 2/27/12 8:27 am - New York, NY
Hi Pam.  I had an RNY in 2002, went from 305 to 175 and then, over the years, gained back to just under 250.  I had a CT Scan of my abdomen and an Endoscopy February 2011 which showed my pouch had stretched which contributed to the regain of 75lbs from 2007 to current.  I researched several surgeries: a RNY to RNY revision, RNY to DS and RNY to Band.  I looked at 2 surgeons in NYC, Dr. Mitchell Roslin at Lenox Hill and Dr. Marina Kurian at NYU.  Becuase my RNY was done open, I was advised that a DS would be very tricky and the complicaton rate high.  I also considered a RNY to RNY revision, but, again a 30-40% complication rate scared me.  Instead, I opted for a Band over Bypass (Lap Band).  

Yes, my insurance paid for it (Aetna) and I was approved immediately, I initially submitted pwk with Roslin and was denied bc Lenox Hill was NOT a bariatric center of excellance with Aetna at the time (due to re-org with North Shore LIJ).  I then switched to NYU with Dr Kurian (Al Roker's doc) and was approved immed.  I held off till June bc I wanted to make sure my Short Term and Long Term Disability was in effect.  

Today, its 8 mos later, I am down about 55lbs, I have restriction again and I am working out 6 days a week. I feel amazing and I am happy!  My only advice to you is do your homework, pick the best possible doctor and I'd suggest NOT using your old doctor UNLESS he is an exprienced revision doctor.

Best of Luck.

Heather

gi_bode
on 2/27/12 1:07 pm
Heather, you've given me some valuable information! Thanks so much, I'm going to ask about that

gi
Karen H.
on 3/6/12 5:01 am
Hell, How hard was the revision on you? Do you think the lap band is the best way to go on an RNY operation? Did it take long to heal? And ar you losing slower?? I want to have a revision but I want to make sure I will be alright and it will work this time. My RNY, I gaine all my weight back. I had my RNY in 2004. Thank You for any information..

..."Let Us Love The World To Peace"...

Most Active