Revision from my band to???? Sleeve or RNY?

Shannonsjoy
on 2/22/12 2:16 pm - Victorville, CA
I have had the Lapband from 2008-2010 and lost about 65lbs in 9 months and was very happy wth the weight loss. But my band slipped and I had to have a Revision in 2010 and was given the Realize Band. I have not lost one pound in all this time and actually play with about 10-15lbs up and down all the time. I know its not a huge gain, but I still have at least 50-60lbs to lose. I have GERD very bad now and am on medication for it. I believe its all band related.
I have an appointment on Monday to talk with my surgeon who did both surgeries before. He thinks we need to remove this band then try for another form, the Sleeve.
Anyone have experience with this? Any regrets or overly happy with how its turned out for you. Should I even try the sleeve, or just go straight to RNY. Im educated for the most part on both proceedures but really confused with which way would be the best for me. I dont want anymore surgeries if I can help it. I was told that the Sleeve is a stepping stone to the bypass. Im so sad to go through this but at 5'3" and 209lbs with Diabetes and back pain I need to pick one procedure. Help????
Thank you for any and all advice and/or expierences.
Darcy13
on 2/22/12 11:36 pm
 Hi- I had the sleeve but did not have satisfactory weight loss - I am considering a revision to the RNY.  My surgeon also said if you have GERD the sleeve will make it worse, you may want to ask about this.  Good Luck!
Hislady
on 2/23/12 1:53 pm - Vancouver, WA
I suggest you go hang out on both forums and see how they feel about their surgeries. I know most sleevers are very happy with their surgery especially the ex bandsters because you already know how  and what to eat. Not all sleevers get worse gerd some get better but there is also something I read about the other day on the sleeve board that can be done during surgery or before surgery that can improve the gerdI'm sure you know that all the surgeries require a life style change so if you can do that either surgery would work for you, good luck!
A H.
on 2/23/12 3:13 pm
Revision on 02/09/12
Personally I would never ever get RNY. I am enjoying my sleeve so far. Revised from band two weeks ago. Not being hungry is the most awesome feeling in the world. If I needed malabsorption I would get a DS.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 2/24/12 10:35 am
You were misinformed. The sleeve is the same stomach as the DS. The RNY is completely different.

The stats are similar for weight loss between sleeve and RNY, but the DS has the best for both weight loss, maintenance, and resolution of co-morbs. 

I personally would decide if I needed restriction only, or needed restriction combined with malabsorbtion. If restriction only, then the sleeve, and if I needed the help of malabsorbtion, then the DS. Those are the only ones I'd seriously look at, but you need to figure it out for yourself PRIOR to asking a surgeon.

If you just ask a surgeon first, then they only recommend the procedures they do, and what is easiest for them, or what they've happened to train in, is not necessarily what you will do best with.

USAF Wife
on 2/25/12 9:08 pm
I revised over 2.5 years ago from band to VSG. Honestly, no one could pay me to get RNY. I actually told my surgeon the morning of my revision "if you can't give me a sleeve, take out my band and I'll stay fat". I would hang out on both forums (VSG and RNY), check here for people with revisions, read back several pages. Choose a surgery that you can live with for the rest of your life, not just to get the weight off. I can honestly say that not having a pouch anymore is amazing. I never realized how valuable that little pyloric valve was until I lost it with my band and now have it with my sleeve. I have zero regrets with VSG, I would do it over 10 times to live the life I have today. As for GERD, reflux is common after VSG, I happily take a PPI daily to ward off reflux and for me, it's a tiny issue.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Shannonsjoy
on 2/26/12 3:34 am - Victorville, CA
Thank you soooooooo much everyone for all your input. I can research to death but it doesnt measure up to actual experience people have. I have a HUGE decision to make and really want to make it the last surgery for weight loss I have to go through. I also have to make a decision on whether or not to go back to my surgeon who has dont the band twice. I am looking into seeing another office to do the surgery.

I have not thought of the DS. I might have to consider that too. RNY, I think is not for me. Im not going to look into that option. So its between the VS or DS. 

Again, thank you so much for all your input and please keep the opinions and advice coming. Also if you live in my area of Southern Ca, do you recommend a surgeon/office to go to that would be great. :)

pineview01
on 2/26/12 9:34 am, edited 2/26/12 9:34 am - Davison, MI
Hi I have the band and am 3 years out.  Everyone that I know that was going to get the band either got the sleeve or nothing after seeing what happend with me.  Also, my odest sister has the DS.  I would give anything to have my band out and a sleeve.  I may have to pay for it myself.  I wouldn't get the DS unless it was a last resort, it is hard to be around people with a DS.  But, if the sleeve alone doesn't work for you if is an option.

Good luck with what ever you choose

ps on the band it is hunger or pain, no inbetween.  My realitives with the sleeves know what it is to be FULL!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

RockChick
on 2/26/12 12:17 pm, edited 2/27/12 10:58 am - Los Angeles , CA
On February 26, 2012 at 5:34 PM Pacific Time, pineview01 wrote: Hi I have the band and am 3 years out.  Everyone that I know that was going to get the band either got the sleeve or nothing after seeing what happend with me.  Also, my odest sister has the DS.  I would give anything to have my band out and a sleeve.  I may have to pay for it myself.  I wouldn't get the DS unless it was a last resort, it is hard to be around people with a DS.  But, if the sleeve alone doesn't work for you if is an option.

Good luck with what ever you choose

ps on the band it is hunger or pain, no inbetween.  My realitives with the sleeves know what it is to be FULL! I revised from the RNY to the DS in Decmeber, and I can assure you, I'm no harder to be around than I was with the RNY. Not sure if this is reference to gas issues, but not everyone with a DS has them. The DS does take a serious committment to lifelong supplements, more than the RNY. I think it's a good idea to read up too on all the surgeries, be as informed as possible. For me, I wish I could have had the DS in the first place 10 years ago, but my insurance at the time wouldn't cover it. 

Revision to DS 12/15/2011/Dr. Keshishian, Verdugo Hills

RNY 5/11/2002 Dr. Muryama, Northwestern 

***RNY complication surgery 5/2011, Hernia repairs 6/2003, 8/2013

SW 240 CW 158-163 Goal and maintaining 

4evercaligrl
on 2/26/12 2:31 pm
 I actually just scheduled my revision from the band to the sleeve.  You asked for a doc in southern cali?  I use Dr. Cuneen at Cedar Sinai and I think he is wonderful.  I am having the surgery in a month.... 
Good luck!

Most Active