Revision from band to ?? due to achalasia?

BuckeyeGirl
on 2/22/12 10:44 am - TN
The band does not alter your stomach size, so when you remove the band, that big ole stomach that was never full pre-op is still there, waiting to be fed. Regain is rampant with unfills and band removals. Hopefully you'll never learn this the hard way.

Most people came to WLS because they were unsuccessful maintaining weight loss with diet alone.

I would never want to battle weight with a full size stomach ever again and I feel badly for those who find themselves in such a situation.

Lindsey

Jean M.
on 2/23/12 6:41 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Most people came to WLS because they were unsuccessful maintaining weight loss with diet alone.

I would never want to battle weight with a full size stomach ever again and I feel badly for those who find themselves in such a situation.

It's funny that you said that, Lindsey, because just 3 minutes ago I finished trying to explain to a friend who's never struggled with weight why I just cannot consider removing my band and winging it alone for the rest of my life. So for me, the only sensible choice is to revise.

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

BuckeyeGirl
on 2/22/12 10:49 am - TN
 Jean,

Sorry to hear of your recent band-related complications. I had my band removal and sleeve in the same procedure, but I didn't have any of those specific complications. I had my band in just about 3 years and my surgeon said my revision went very smoothly.

I do know several band to sleeve revision folks who had to have 2 procedures. 1 for the removal and then a few months down the road, the actual revision. 2 procedures doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but if there is a lot of scar tissue, it may be the safest option.

Best of luck to you. Keep us updated and come visit us on the VSG board. I hope you love your sleeve as much as I love mine. Do you have any more weight to lose?

Best,
Lindsey

TamaraL
on 2/24/12 9:03 pm
Jean,

Please check your health insurance.   If you have medicaire or blue cross blue shields they still see the sleeve as exploratory and I am not sure they will pay for it.   just do some investigation work

then know where you can go.  could you get a bigger band??? 

Good luck

tamara

Jean M.
on 2/24/12 10:39 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
Tamara,

My surgeon's insurance coordinator is checking into that. [It's virtually impossible for a subscriber to get to talk to a human being at Anthem BC/BS.]

I thought about a bigger band, but I don't think my surgeon will go for that, not because she's anti-band but because it would be asking for more trouble now considering the way my body has reacted to my 4 cc band....I may be more vulnerable to esophageal issues now.

I'm thinking that Anthem will probably cover the band removal, and if they won't cover the sleeve, I might be able to afford to pay for the sleeve part as long as it's all done in one surgery (so I'm only paying for the surgeon's fee and not the anesthesia, etc.). Worse comes to worse, and Anthem will only pay for a bypass, I suppose I'd go with that if my surgeon can make the intestional bypass part as minimal as possible.

Thanks,
Jean

author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Mom4Jazz
on 2/27/12 9:57 am
BCBS paid for my sleeve. They changed the classification from exploratory to medically necessary (given certain criteria) in November 2010.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Jean M.
on 2/27/12 9:16 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
That's encouraging news. Do you know if the classification change is throughout all BCBS programs, not just yours?

AUDREY A.
on 2/25/12 5:54 am - McKinney, TX
Revision on 03/21/12
Oh Jean,

I am so sorry to hear about your complications.  I myself developed esophagal dilation,gastritis
and esophagitis.  I saw a different dr and I had to remove over 1/2 of fluid from my band which
leaves me without any restriction, this dr suggested I get the bypass done and it was approved
by BCBS Texas.  The dr plans on removing the band and doing the revision at the same time.
Please let us know how you are doing. 

Sincerely,

Audrey

P.S.  I just loved your book!!!
Jean M.
on 2/25/12 9:13 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
Audrey,

I'm so glad you liked Bandwagon! 

I know how you feel having no restriction now. After my complete unfill on Feb. 20th, my physical hunger came back big time.

Good luck with your revision to the bypass.

Jean

irishgirl67
on 2/27/12 8:32 pm - blue springs, MO
Revision on 04/23/12
 Jean, I am so sorry this happened to you!!  I wish you the best with your revision.  You were an inspiration as a bandster and I'm sure you will be with your new surgery as well!  Keep us posted. 
Most Active