Revision from band to ?? due to achalasia?

Jean M.
on 2/20/12 10:38 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
After 4-1/2 years of Lap-Band success, and not a single band-related problem in the past year, I have developed severe esophageal dilation and achalasia (literally out of the blue). My surgeon is convinced that my 4cc band is too tight, and that it will still be too tight now that it's unfilled to treat these problems. She says that the scar tissue from my band makes me a poor candidate for either types of surgery to correct achalasia and strongly recommends removing my band. I'm OK with that provided I can revise to another WLS procedure, preferably the sleeve. We have a fairly good chance of convincing my insurance company to pay for it because I'm a well-documented medical mess.

Has anyone else had a revision after esophageal dilation and achalasia? Were you able to have the revision done at the same time as your band was removed? How well (and quickly) did your dilation and achalasia resolve?

Thanks!
Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Hislady
on 2/21/12 2:15 pm - Vancouver, WA
Jean I'm so sorry you are over here, but at least NO ONE can say you didn't follow the instructions!!! I would suggest you post this on the sleeve forum, there are LOTS of band to sleevers there and they are all veery nice there. I hang there alot since someday I'd like to get a sleeve too! I wish you nothing but the best of luck and hope it can all get done quickly! I'll be praying for the best for you!
Jean M.
on 2/21/12 8:03 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
Thanks, pal! It's so puzzling and frustrating to have this come out of blue. God must have come up with a brand new list of lessons for me to learn!

author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Cheryl N.
on 2/21/12 10:53 pm - Des Moines, WA
Oh, dear Jean, I'm so sorry you are going thru this!!   What are you thinking of revising to? 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Jean M.
on 2/21/12 11:21 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
Cheryl, I'm thinking of revising to the sleeve. Of course it will have to be something my insurance company approves of.

Cheryl N.
on 2/22/12 1:17 am - Des Moines, WA
When will you have the band removed?    Come join us in failed band group. 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Cheryl N.
on 2/22/12 1:21 am - Des Moines, WA
What symptoms were you having?  If you don't mind sharing.

I am so glad that I have my band out.  I am glad that I revised to bypass, albeit the weight loss is a little slower which is common in revision surgeries.  I only have 44 more to go now.  I still have food averison.    It is also bliss being able to eat again without throwing up like I did when I had the band, even when I wasn't tight some days, and like I said my surgeon said there was nothing wrong with the band when he removed the band.

Recovery may be a little harder though.   I slept the day away the day I had surgery unlike lapband.

Jean M.
on 2/22/12 2:40 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Cheryl,

Actually, I don't consider my band a failure.

My symptoms started with a night cough, then occasional night reflux, then occasional regurgitation of food I'd eaten hours before.

Jean

meemee1966
on 2/23/12 5:59 am - Canada
well you are a lucky woman and you dont consider the symptoms related to the band i never had reflux until i got the band doctor told me its because the food sits in the band i have had a lot of complications from the band including a slippage throwing up for 6 months they kept filling unfilling so on. the nurse kept telling me i was eating to fast basically my fault anyways long story short doc put to much fill when i got my band and they are not suppose to put any in which caused lots of complications anyways there are people that the band doesnt work for just wanted to put my two sense worth in i have had it for 4 years getting a revision this year to a sleeve hopefully this works good luck to whatever you choose to do

mary
thiknena19
on 2/22/12 5:19 am - bronx, NY
so sorry you have to revise to another surgery :/ now i am scared!!! good luck in your new journey :) y not revise back to nothing u have the tools now to succed on your own~
if i ever need my band out i guess i will have nothing left thats it for me!
again good luck :)

Most Active