If you are considering a revision from RNY to DS you should read this. Think twice, cut once.

dori39
on 2/18/12 9:48 am
Hi Maddie
I am considering having a revision surgery with dr greenbaum. I wanted a ds but he isnt doing very many of them. He offered 2 surgeries & one is a revision of my current rny or a distal rny. What are your impressions of dr greenbaum. I am so scared I have a 2 year old at home. I had a similar experience with my first surgery & i have heard some horrible things about the distal rny- i am really scared & dont know what to do-
Renfairewench
on 2/20/12 7:12 am
I had a distal RNY and so I'm not really one to give a good opinion of it. I didn't have many issues with it other than anemia (iron and b12).  Yes, I had stinky farts and foul poops, but with my DS I have that now too.  As for going distal only...most people would say don't do it. I'm not sure what the weight loss is going distal, plus you end up with more malabsorption, but could potentially become b12 or iron anemic. The other thing too si that after a couple of years your body doe relearn how to absorb calories such and so you might end up in the same place you are now.  Perhaps he'd do a sleeve on you? 

My husband is looking to do a revision as well and because of my very extensive post op complications he is reticent to have a DS, as such he is looking at having an RNY to RNY revision. I don't know much about it, bu I believe it is having the pouch made smaller yet again, fixing the stoma and making the intestines more distal.  Again, I don't know what sort of weight loss can be expected from this. 

If you want a revision to DS then you should have it. There are a couple of doctors in NYC that do them.  As on the DS board for the names since I am blank at the moment.  Don't settle for something that you don't want.

I love Dr. Greenbaum and think and feel that he is a competent surgeon.  He is attentive and there for you as a patient. On the down side I would say that his follow up with vitamines is rather lacking. Also, I don't believe that an enry is the best choice for many people. I understand why he has gone this route, but I disagree with him offering it in place of the DS and because of this I am rather selective on referring anyone who wants a revision to him. I'd rather see that person go to one of the NYC doctors or out to Dr. Keshianan in California first.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

dori39
on 2/20/12 7:39 am
Hi Maddie
Thank you so much for replying. I contacted Dr. Keshishians office & will be starting to save the $4000 fee for him to do the surgery. I dont think i will be happy with the distal & don't want to end up in the same boat I allready am in now. I think the ds is worth waiting.
Thanks dori
ps you look wonderful!
zuzupetals2u2
on 2/24/12 1:59 am - Sedona, AZ
 Maddie- I am so glad you took all the time you did to share with us all the details of the horror you went thru. No wonder your husb is scared to get the DS. I have been very lucky as I have had no problems at all since my DS which was a revision from stomach stapling. I used Dr Husted during his short stay in Phoenix and was lucky things went so well they tell me. I knew about his instability but I felt his skills were there and I did question him about everything first and took my chances as I didn't have the funds for Dr K's out of pocket program fees. If I knew all this beforehand I probably would not consider using anyone BUT Dr K or Dr R in CA. I never hear anything but good about them.

have a 100 cc and Dr Husted  left it longer as I was 59 and said we absorb less as we age. I have lost about 90 pounds and stopped. I know tho I am including too many carbs and I almost feel I might be sabotaging myself from going any further right now as I am at the lowest weight I ever have gotten to in my adult life.

I am doing all the supplments and protein faithfully and read here dally. I appreciate hearing your story and realizing how easy I have had it. Thank you! I hope it makes others take it more seriously too.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Bluebird
on 3/5/12 7:09 am - long beach, CA
 Do you think if you had had a skilled physician, such as Dr. K  you would have had less issues?  
Renfairewench
on 3/5/12 7:53 am
I had a skilled and vetted DS and DS revision surgeon,  Dr. Greenbaum. He is (still is) a vetted revision surgeon, even though he has choosen not to do rny to ds revisions now.  I have no issues with regards to him and do not blame him for what happened. He did what he knew how to do, sadly my body responded poorly. His follow up care was beautiful and he followed medical protocols.  I DO NOT blame him for the post op complications. I knew the risks going in and rolled the die, but came up with snake eyes. Not every surgery that one undergoes is text book. Every surgery whether elective or medically needed carries risk.  **** happens. **** happened to me. My body just didn't like he intrusion.   

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Most Active