Gastric Bypass Revision after 5 years

durhamdj61
on 2/11/12 10:23 am - OH
I had my gastric bypass 5 years ago in Columbus Ohio and I developed a severe case of gout the day after the surgery and the arthiritis doctor put me on a medication that he did not know that you could not take after that surgery and it gave me ulcers.  Last week I had my 14th EDG in 5 years and they tell me that I am bleeding again and that I have 2 new ulcers and that they need to redo the entire bypass.  Anyone had this and do you know the possible complications from this??  My surgery is scheduled for this Tuesday at noon so I need an answer quickly.
Hislady
on 2/12/12 6:45 am - Vancouver, WA
Most ulcers are caused by the helio bactor pylorus bacteria and can be treated with antibiotics. I would think they would try that course of healing them first before going themore serious surgery route. I would ask about that before having surgery. Good luck to you, I hope it can be healed without surgery!
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 2/12/12 10:31 am
What exactly do they mean by "redo the entire bypass"? If they are undoing everything and restoring you back to original (very unlikely, only a few surgeons are even capable of doing this) then that my help some of those issues. There's no way I'd let them rush into this surgery without being clear on this.

If they are going to revise to something like ERNY, then you will have the same problems, and more. Find out exactly what they are proposing, and I HIGHLY suggest you get second and third opinions from a top surgeon know for revisions. 

As far as taking meds, with RNY you have restrictions with ANY type of medicine that is an NSAID, or has NSAIDs in it. Some of us get crappy advice from our surgical teams. I did too. Thing is, it's US that have to live with these surgeries for the rest of our -hopefully- long lives, so we owe it to ourselves to be educated about what was done to us, and what we need to stay healthy. You need to know you can't have NSAIDs, and tell every doctor you see that. You have to self advocate.

I don't leave it to my doctor to keep track. I schedule my labs when necessary, make sure all of them that are needed are actually drawn, then put it all on a spreadsheet to make sure there are no dangerous trends. The doctor won't even notice something wrong unless it is so far out of line that it is out of the "range" and has been flagged by the lab. Damage can already be happening by that point, and it's much harder to fix things once they are out of whack, rather than just keeping them in a healthy place to begin with. If this sounds over the top, it's not. Many of us with malabsorptive surgeries do this now. We've LEARNED from everyone that has gone before us. 

That said, I had the DS because I also need to take NSAIDs for pain, and needed a surgery that would allow me to do this without causing marginal ulcers. It is possible to revise to the DS, or sleeve, but not unless you have one of the very few surgeons capable of doing said revision. I would not allow this second surgery to take place without talking to someone like Rabkin or Kesheshian in CA, but that's just me, cuz I like to have a successful surgery, with additional surgeries. Good luck, and good health.

Most Active