Complications from revision surgery

riverrita1234
on 2/11/12 5:09 am
I had the revision surgery from the band to the RNY on Jan., 24, 2012. Things seemed fine until a week and half later I had to be re-admitted to the ER because of severe pain. My bowels started healing in a kink fashion which lead to my insides blowing up and freaking out. You don't know what pain feels like trying to throw up nothing. My old stomach now is making a lot of throw up stuff do to my bowels, but since it's not connected anymore, there's nowhere for it to go.

The docs did emergency surgery and I spent the next 5 days in the hospital. I have a tube coming out of my "old stomach" that drains the digestive juices out. I have to have this tube sticking out of me for a month and it is connected to a bag that I have to carry around. It's really gross. 

My questions are, has anyone had this happen? What is the tube called? Does the digestive juices from my old stomach ever let up? I've have not seen any decrease in fluid that it is producing, my doc says eventually it will let up. 

I feel extremely remorseful for getting the surgery done again.

Help!! 
Wishmeluck123
on 2/11/12 5:48 am
I am so sorry you are suffering. I too had a revision, but I have been quite lucky. And count my blessings. I just wanted to reach out to you and send you prayers and love. Follow doctors orders and keep positive and faithful....(((hugs))) If you just need some support feel free to email me anytime. Please keep me posted...

Melissa~

Melissa~ 

Acceptance means that you can find the serenity within to let go of the past with its mistakes and regrets, move into the future with a new perspective, and appreciate the opportunity to take a second chance!

A H.
on 2/13/12 1:24 am
Revision on 02/09/12
 I'm so sorry you are having a tough time with your revision surgery. I just wanted to send you prayers and hugs and speedy recovery.

Band (09/07) removed, revised to sleeve 2/9/12.

Renfairewench
on 2/14/12 7:53 am
I had a lot of complications post op from my revision from RNY to DS. A gastric leak being just one of those issues along with fistuals, blood clot, sepsis and the list goes on.  It sounds to me like the tube might be a Jackson Pratt (JP) drain. Does the ick from the stomach feed into a collasped ball that you have to empty and then squeeze?  Are you NPO? If you are not I'm surprised. 

As for buyers remorse. I've been there too. I can tell you that sometimes things just don't go smoothly. Try not to dwell on it. Have a good attitude and think that this is just a pothole in your journey to a new and thinner you.  I dealt with ick coming out of me for 18 months. I spent weeks in the hospital. I had a J-tube, and eventually two catheters to feed me TPN (Total nutrition) for a total of 11 months. Did it suck? Sure, some days more than others, but I kept believing that everyday I was getting better. Eventually it took another surgery to fix me. If you want I would be more than happy to copy a post of what I went through.

Try to remain positive. This issue is temporary and soon it will be just a vague memory. 

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Most Active