What questions to ask when revising from band to RNY?

babyzaftig
on 2/7/12 12:25 am - MA
Greetings all!  I am going to attend the WLS seminar tonight to start the process of revising from my failed band (January 2005) to a RNY.  I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things to ask (either tonight or at my first consult), things to keep in mind, look out for, or whatever.  I really want to tap into the collective wisdom of all the people who have traveled this path before me, or who are themselves in the process.  Thank you in advance!

Joanna

Aasect .org
on 2/7/12 4:48 am
The first thing I would ask is the number of revisions the doctor has done from a band to the RNY (or other surgeries). How does he handle complications such as erosion into the stomach? How will that affect pouch creation?
babyzaftig
on 2/8/12 2:56 am - MA
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm starting a list.... 
MsBatt
on 2/8/12 9:28 am
While you still have a relatively intact stomach to work with, I strongly urge you to consider the VSG and the DS as well. I don't know how much weight you want to lose, but the bottom line is that the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size---and revising from the pouch-and-stoma of the RNY to any other form of WLS is VERY tricky.

TamaraL
on 2/9/12 9:55 am
as another poster stated, please do your research. Contact your insurance company and see what surgeries they will cover. There is the sleeve, DS, RNY. 

I had the RNY. My insurance would not cover the RNY and my BMI was too low.  Because of heart burn problems I was afraid to do the sleeve. It is a big vitamin commitment for  the RNY. 

Some times I do not think that people realize the commitment

Tamara

Most Active