Stomaphyx!---? :)

Miss Candace
on 2/3/12 1:01 am - San Jose, CA
okay - Im set to have my revision procedure (the stomaphyx) on monday the 6th.
Has anyone had this procedure? Im interested in what youve experienced - complications & results.
Im kinda nervous & questioning myself as to if this will really work to help me get back in track - if its the right thing for me to do - just doubts in general. scared but im still pushing forward.
Ive done lots of research on it so i feel more at ease this morning. I guess in still in the last minute information collection mode.

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.     

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/12 1:11 am
if your mind is set - you probably want to back away from the computer, given the answers you'll get.

i've not seen 1 person - 1, that this procedure was a success.   but there is always a shot, what made you pick this procedure?

Miss Candace
on 2/3/12 1:52 am - San Jose, CA
its really the only revision procedure available to RnY GBS patients. Theres also the Rose procedure, but i wanted to stick w/ my original Drs & they dont offer that. They do the stomaphyx.
Ya - i do seem to remember seeing not very good results related comments here about a year ago.
But ive been contemplating this for about 2 yrs & Im ready to act on it. I know its not going to be the drop off rate i experienced w/ the original procedure but i figure SOMETHING is better than NOTHING.

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.     

MsBatt
on 2/3/12 3:12 am
Is your insurance paying for this? If you're a self-pay, there's no WAY I'd waste my money. There ARE other revisions possible for an RNY---you could have you proximal RNY (which I assume you'vve got---most people do) to a more distal, or 'extended one, called an ERNY. I don't see a lot of people who are very happy with this, though.

And you CAN be revised from your RNY to a DS---but there are only a handful of surgeons who do this, and your surgeon isn't one of them. However, two of the WORLD'S best revision surgeons are in CA---Keshishian and Rabkin.

Miss Candace
on 2/3/12 4:56 am - San Jose, CA
I had a full ryn - but i dont think i knew (at the time) that a proximal was an option. I do however know that i wanted to be DONE w/ this rollercoaster of weight loss. little did i know huh...
assumemy insu is paying for it b/c i was "approved" for it. but you bring up a very good point ^ I will follow up w/ the insu to make sure.

MsBatt
on 2/4/12 7:56 am
Absolutely be sure---'cause a lot of insurance policies DON'T pay for that. ( I don't want to see you left holding the bag.)

Nearly everyone getsa proximal these days, 'cause the distal has some big problems. But you certainly need to know what you've got before you choose to change anything.

Miss Candace
on 2/4/12 3:24 am - San Jose, CA
lol you were right - i should just back away lol

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/12 1:20 am
On February 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM Pacific Time, Miss Candace wrote:
lol you were right - i should just back away lol
i told ya :)
(deactivated member)
on 2/3/12 3:50 am - Hockessin, DE
Revision on 03/01/12
I too have been doing research as I think both my pouch and stoma have streched.  I have an appt. with a surgeon on 2/15 to talk about a revision.  I called 20 bariatric centers across the country and found that most recommend is a lap band over bypass as the results were better than the Stomafyx (and all others).  I originally wanted either a Stomafyx or ROSE, however, when I found out that the Stomafyx does not address the stoma issue just the pouch size I moved away from that idea.  I hope that you have had that checked because if you have a stretched stoma, the stomafyx will not work for you.  It is a shame to have doubts at this late stage, I hope all goes well for you!
Miss Candace
on 2/3/12 4:52 am - San Jose, CA
" however, when I found out that the Stomafyx does not address the stoma issue just the pouch size..." WHAT other issue(s)?
From what I understand - the only "option" available to RNY GBS patients is the stomaphyx or rose.

Most Active