If you had the band...

Aasect .org
on 2/6/12 10:41 am
Be careful. Even the ones who say they do it all often don't.

That said, I'm in the process of revising my RNY to a DS. I don't have much weight to lose, but I have a number of issues that would be resolved by getting rid of this configuration.
jess0308
on 2/8/12 10:41 am - Blountsville, AL
I had band for three years, lost 70 lbs, and then began gaining back, and had gall bladder problems. Dr. said I had band malfunction, so on Nov. 28th, I had band removed, gall bladder removed, and had the RNY, I have lost 40lbs and I feel awesome! I know it is still soon for me, and I did not look into other surgeries, because my doctor recomended this over the sleeve. So far, though, I am very happy.

Band to DS
on 2/12/12 11:41 am
I want to get my lap band removed & revise to a DS. At first the DS scared me, but it has the best results for long-term weight loss & maintenance. I didn't lose much weight with the band, so I don't think the sleeve would be enough for me. (And there's no way I want a third surgery somewhere down the road!) I don't want a RNY because of the high risk for dumping & reactive hypoglycemia. Having a DS is a serious life-long commitment, though. You have to be careful about eating lots of protein & taking vitamins several times a day. Unfortunately, lots of the folks who've had a DS don't post here anymore. You can find them on the internet, however.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

Most Active