Dr. Afram _ Revion Surgery- Any Experiences?

ladyelement
on 2/1/12 4:35 am - huntingtown, MD
Hello! All! I had my original OPEN gastric Bypass Surgery in 2001 Started at 316 lbs. The Smallest I ever got was 235 lbs - 80 lbs Lost . However, I am now back up to 270 lbs and steady  gaining.

i did not have ANY After care. I lost my job shortly after surgery and i was left to fend for myself. No nutritionist no follow up appts, NOTHING.  I was never told about vitamins or protein, so i kinda feel like i was set up to fail. i was never told any thing other than liquids ONLY for 3 weeks. then soft foods then solid foods.

Up until i learned of Dr. Afram and his "team" i thought i was a lost cause. I thought i failed. Not to say my weight gain isnt at least partially my fault. But i honestly believe i didnt have the right kind of surgery.

I am just looking to see if ANYONE here has had revision surgery with Dr. Afram? Did it work? Did they surgery + the after care help you work with your new digestive system? Learn how to eat all over again,

I dont want to be left in the cold to fail again or worse yet do so much damage to my body that I become a medical mess.

I go to My first Appt tommrow and im really SUPER Concerned
Hislady
on 2/1/12 8:23 am - Vancouver, WA

What are you thinking of revising to? That makes a difference as to what answers you get.

He who can't be Named
on 2/1/12 1:41 pm
Considering he isn't one the "the" revision surgeons, my guess is he's going to revise to another type of RNY, most likely ERNY. I don't like the results and problems that come with that, so am looking to the surgeons that can revise to DS. The fewer surgeries the better.
Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
MsBatt
on 2/2/12 12:13 pm
Okay, I'm confused. In your current post on the old thread, you say you have a BPD, either with or without a DS, ut here you say you have a gastric bypass. They are nowhere near to being the same thing, so we can't really help you until we know exactly what was done to you in your original surgery.

I do know that if you have gastric bypass (RNY) and wish to revise to a true DS, then you need a different surgeon. There are only a handful of surgeons in the world who do this very complex revision.

If you have a BPD without a DS, I'm not certain what can be done. That particular procedure isn't done very often any more.

If you have a BPD WITH a DS, then yes, they can re-sleeve your stomach and/or shorten your common channel. Without knowing what your current stomach size and intestinal limb lengths, I can't give any advice on whether this would be a good idea or not. (I'm not a doctor, I just play one on the interwebs. *grin*)

uandme2gether4life
on 2/16/12 9:53 pm, edited 2/16/12 10:01 pm - Washington, DC
Hello Ladyelement, I had open gastric bypass surgery in 2003 weighing in at 267lbs., and I probably lost 50lbs. Currently, I weigh 282lbs., and I too am seeking a revision. I had a consult and several visits with Dr. Afram but, I have decided to put the brakes on and seek the advise of another surgeon. I do not feel that I failed my original surgery but, that the RNY failed me and because of that, I have had to ask myself why would I repeat that procedure. Dr. Afram RNY revision is the ERNY. I have an appointment with Dr. Elariny on 02/22/2012 for a consult to discuss the ERNY versus DS. Sometimes in life we want things so badly that we don't stop to consider all of our options. Follow your heart, but be quiet for a while first. Ask the question, then feel the answer. Learn to trust your heart. I will keep you posted.
Most Active