Lap band to ??? Need advice!

shoppingsarah
on 1/31/12 4:33 am - Los Angeles, CA
RNY on 03/08/12
I am seeking a lap band revision. I had the band in 2008. I lived in dc at the time, now I am in Los Angeles. After the first year i lost Almost 50 pounds. But i and have never really found a happy medium with the band. Either too tight or too loose. I am a vegetarian so almost all healthy foods get stuck. I want recommendations on what I should revise too. I need something that will give me restriction but will allow for healthy foods, like salad, tofu, veggies. I am sick of fills, throwing up, and not being able to eat. The only time I lose now is when I am overfilled and can't eat. There has got to be a better way.

Also, can you recommend a good revision surgeon in California. Someone who has experience with removing the band and performing the new surgery at the same time?

Thank you everyone!
A H.
on 1/31/12 4:43 am, edited 1/31/12 4:44 am
Revision on 02/09/12
I'd recommend checking into the vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I was banded in 07 and getting the sleeve in a week, revising in one surgery. I have probably the best surgeon in the state of WA.  For CA I would look up Dr. Cirangle, his patients have a very high rate of success and he is a pro.

I have not seen a single band to sleeve person say they regret it, they all have said the sleeve is what the band was supposed to be for them and they are all thrilled.

It sounds like based on your wants criteria the sleeve would be perfect!

Band (09/07) removed, revised to sleeve 2/9/12.

Hislady
on 1/31/12 8:11 am - Vancouver, WA
I agree with the OP if you don't need malabsorption then the sleeve is the way to go. The band is basically a bad joke and many of us have had no luck with it for the same reason as you, can't get decent restriction. If I am ever able to revise I plan on going to the sleeve.
balw83
on 1/31/12 10:36 am - TN
I had lapband surgery in 2007,and my band has slipped. My Dr sent in  for  a revision.  Samr for me for the first year lost 45 pounds. had many fills and unfills. keep throwing up. My surgen sent in for a revision and was denied. I have blur cross blue shield of texas, do you have any suggestion?
Valerie12
on 1/31/12 2:02 pm
 I had the lapband in March 2012 and haven't lost that much weight in fact I'm almost right where I started.  I am very disappointed.  I think trying the raw food diet or veagan way of eating might be the way to go.  I'm thinking of getting the band removed as well.  What a waste of money and time.  I throw up all the time too.  If I do not get a fill for a long time I can eat salad but ir is rare.  I would have it taken out. 

Sincerely,

Valerie
shoppingsarah
on 1/31/12 1:00 pm - Los Angeles, CA
RNY on 03/08/12
Thanks...I was thinking about vsg...my I met with a doc today that suggested bypass. He said that he has had the greatest outcome with band revisions to bypass. I think I need the malabsorption bc my metabolism is very slow. I am so confused...please everyone tell me your experience and give advice.
balw83
on 1/31/12 1:09 pm - TN
Insurance ????
shoppingsarah
on 1/31/12 4:03 pm, edited 1/31/12 4:05 pm - Los Angeles, CA
RNY on 03/08/12
I have united healthcare. If they pay for any it will be 50% because any surgeon I choose to do the revision will be out of network. I think $ is an important factor but i want to make my surgical decision on what is best for me physically.So once I make that decision I will figure out the $ aspect. I will most likely have to pay for the majority if not all out of pocket. My plan has a bariatric exclusion, so they will only cover the surgery if I have a hernia or scar tissue that needs to be removed. Then I have to cover the bariatric portion, and split the surgical center fees.

Do you know why you got denied? Find out and appeal, or see if you can combine surgeries and get some covered. If you have a hernia or excessive scar tissue they may cover that part and you can negotiate the rest with your doc.

Does that help?
A H.
on 2/2/12 10:10 am
Revision on 02/09/12
I also recommend appealing. Does your insurance specifically exclude WLS? or have a one WLS per lifetime cause? A lot of people looking to revise from band have been getting screwed by that one.

Band (09/07) removed, revised to sleeve 2/9/12.

Delia Montalvo
on 2/3/12 5:29 am - San Antonio, TX
I had the Lap Band procedure in February 2006 and had little success, July 2012 I had the Gastric Sleeve done.  I've lost 30 lbs since then, but have experienced a lot of acid reflux.  When I saw my surgeon, he explained that because of the lap band, I have scar tissue around the area where the band was placed causing me to have a "outy" which is where my food is getting stuck.  The only way to relieve this reflux is to try Nexium for one but in the long run, will probably need another surgery which would be the gastric bypass.  I am willing to do that if it is going to help because at this time, Nexium is not helping.  He said I would probably not loose that much more weight because of my prior surgeries.  Anyway, that is something you may want to think about before proceeding. 
Most Active