Why did you/are you seeking revision? Did you regain?

Jackie P.
on 1/30/12 11:07 pm - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13
hello!

I am a newbie researching RNY surgery. As a constant regainer of weight throughout my life, I am scared of also regaining the weight from RNY. Did you? Is that why you are getting revison surgery? If you did regain the weight, did you ever think you would? I'm very scared of going through this, to only regain like all the other times.

Any insight would be appreciated!
heathercross
on 1/31/12 1:52 am - New York, NY
 I had an RNY in 2002, I went from 305 to 183 in less than a year.  It was a piece of cake.  There is no way you cannot lose weight on the RNY.  I was very strict for years.  I worked out 7 days a week, sometimes twice a day. I think this is why I was so successful.  However, I was always hungry after a few short hours. Later I found out it was bc my pouch was made incredibly large as my surgeon was very conservative on pouch sizes and my staple line was more like a V in my tummy then a straight line, cutting off a part of the stomach.  Also, he didn't bypass as much as other RNY doctors were doing at this time.  

When I threw out my back in 2007/2008, and got a bulging disc, I had to stop the insane workouts and the running and as such, the weight just came back in droves.  I regained 65lbs.

Did I think I would regain, no.  Its a slippery slope.  I think the key to success is to educate yourself, have an excellent support group around you, EXERCISE and therapy.  Find out why you were fat in the first place.  I think its more mental then we all allow ourselves to believe.  All these ingredients will make you successful regardless of the surgery you chose.

Jackie P.
on 1/31/12 2:07 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13
Thank you heather! That was very informative! :)
(deactivated member)
on 1/31/12 10:57 am
If you are going to research surgeries, you owe it to yourself to research ALL of the possibilities. Theres a lot of great information out there. Make sure you consider ALL of your options (the VSG, the RNY the Mini Gastric Bypass and the Doudenal Switch aka DS). Ask ask ask and ask some more in each forum until youve got an idea of what youre getting into and which one will give you the results you want.
Ladytazz
on 2/1/12 2:32 pm
You can regain with any surgery, although some are more effective then others.  I had a revision because of side effects and complications from my first surgery, although I had also regained most of the weight I lost.  I never would have had a revision just because of the regain, though.  I knew why I regained and that WLS wasn't my answer, dealing with  my food issues was.  I didn't go into WLS very educated and mistakenly thought WLS was a cure instead of something to help.
With some WLS regain is more likely then others.  You need to research all of them and find which is best for you but you also need to be prepared to look at the reasons you need WLS in the first place.  If it is because you eat a lot then a restrictive procedure may be all you need.  Are you able to lose weight when you go on a diet?  if you are the type that can't lose weight no matter how little you eat then you are probably metabolically challenged and need more then just restriction.  Both the RNY and the DS have malabsorption but with the RNY the malabsorption is temporary, lasting about 2 years.  With the DS it is permanent, giving you life long assistance in keeping the weight off.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

He who can't be Named
on 2/3/12 7:38 am
With your history, it would be wise to research the DS.
Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
Most Active