REVISION Question

Phyllis M.
on 1/26/12 10:31 pm - Irving, TX
I'm considering an RNY revision to a DS.; however I have NOT been a complete angel and don't know if I'll qualify to have a revision -  

Does anyone know of a TX doctor that (Dallas area, preferrably) that I could contact for a free consult??? 

My surgeon does RNY to RNY revision........not sure exactly what that  is and if anyone can help me with that - I'd be greatful !!

I've BEEN VERY HAPPY with my RNY and my faults are that .......MY FAULTS....but I've been gaining (my fault too)  so i'm not sure a revision is what I would need......but looking into this...

I'm suspecting that maybe I didn't have a complete RNY - ?  does that make sense?  I can't get the answers I need from my surgeon.....he seems to "avoid" the question and goes on to something else.........but I sincerely still would recommend him in a heart beat !!    NO surgeon bashing here, please.............

• Pease check out Dr. Connie Stapleton's Website. A lot of good information on there for all WLS patients regardless of the surgery you chose.  Good luck to all and I'm here for you if you want to send me an email.  I'll answer it as soon as possible.  
  • Total Lost:  139 lbs
  • Current Weight:  263  
  • As of 11-10-13 I have had weight gain.  Not happy about that.
  • RNY: 10-16-07 = 338:  Highest weight: 350+  Lowest Weight: 199 

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/12 10:44 pm
clpeltz
on 1/26/12 11:14 pm
The first thing you need to accept is that the Doctors listed below are the ONLY ones that are experienced to do a RNY-DS revision.  The ONLY ones.  You are going to have to travel for a RNY-DS revision.

Dr. Rabkin, Dr. Keshishian, both are located in California

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States

Dr. Gagner, located in Canada (Does most revisions in two parts)

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Deb *.
on 1/26/12 11:18 pm, edited 1/26/12 11:18 pm
Hey Phyllis - The only vetted DS doc in TX that does the DS is Dr. Daryl Stewart in Denton.  Check with him if you want, though I don't know if he does the RNY to DS revisions.  RNY to DS is a complicated surgery that very few people in the country have a great deal of experince doing.  From what I understand he does all four surgeries, so please talk to him!  Also there is a website, dsfacts, that has the best information.  Start doing research there.

Make sure to do lots of research about the post-op requirements, especially vitamin supplementation.  It's important with the RNY, but often with the DS you have to be your own advocate to your doctors so it is imperative that you learn everything you can before any revision.  Vitalady has a DS vitamin schedule on her website that a lot of the DS vets start with and then tweak based on their own personal labs.  Take a look at that and make sure it's something you are willing to committ to.
smileyjamie72
on 1/28/12 6:12 am, edited 1/28/12 6:12 am - Palmer, AK

Great tip on the research needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

adnerb
on 1/27/12 1:46 am
I had a revision from RNY to DS with Dr. Stewart in Denton last month. Feel free to message me any time with questions. Best wishes with whatever you decide.
Ladytazz
on 1/27/12 1:01 pm
My perhaps unpopular advice is that while it's a good idea to check out your surgery and make sure it was done correctly and there aren't any mechanical failures, it is also a good idea to look at why you think your surgery isn't working for you the way you thought it would.  If it is due to noncompliance then I would work on why you weren't able to comply.  No WLS will work if you continue to eat the way you did before surgery.  And if your main issues are refined carbs and sugar then no WLS will help you malabsorb them.  If you continue to eat a great deal of those you will gain weight, no matter what surgery you have.
I didn't set out looking for a revision.  I knew I had failed my WLS and had no doubt I would fail any surgery I had.  I really wanted a reversal because I was having all the disadvantages of WLS and no benefits.  I was told that I couldn't be reversed, only revised.  I decided to use the opportunity to work on my issues that caused me to eat self destructively.
You may find that you don't need a revision as much as you need to deal with your food issues.  Or you may find that you choose the wrong surgery for yourself.  Just don't cheat yourself out of an opportunity to have a successful experience by not looking at all aspects of your eating behaviors.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Phyllis M.
on 1/29/12 10:06 pm - Irving, TX
You may find that you don't need a revision as much as you need to deal with your food issues.  Or you may find that you choose the wrong surgery for yourself.  Just don't cheat yourself out of an opportunity to have a successful experience by not looking at all aspects of your eating behaviors.

Thank you Tazz !!   It is true......the surgery has NOT failed me...... and I don't know that a revision is what I want/ need...........I am just looking to get some answers to my questions or thoughts first !      I dont' regret for one moment having RNY ...I love it  I love my tool and I need to let it work for me. 
  • Pease check out Dr. Connie Stapleton's Website. A lot of good information on there for all WLS patients regardless of the surgery you chose.  Good luck to all and I'm here for you if you want to send me an email.  I'll answer it as soon as possible.  
  • Total Lost:  139 lbs
  • Current Weight:  263  
  • As of 11-10-13 I have had weight gain.  Not happy about that.
  • RNY: 10-16-07 = 338:  Highest weight: 350+  Lowest Weight: 199 

Most Active