Intestinal Blockage??

HispitAnn
on 1/22/12 6:07 am - Phx, AZ
My history:
> RNY 2/2005
> Revision 11/2008 (lessened sm intestine)
> Reversal of the revision 12/2009

My problem...for the past year or so, I've suffered with frequent bouts of constipation, extreme bloating, tender upper abdomen due to those 2.  These bouts of constipation are often accompanied by gas.  I have sharp pains in my very low R abdomen...very low.  I also have pain in my upper R abdomen, under my ribcage, and even after eating just a cracker with peanut butter, my pouch hurts.  At times I have felt nauseated and want to vomit for lack of space for food.

I am in the midst of a week-long bout of constipation.  I take 4 Colace a day.  This sometimes helps.  However, this week I have also added Miralax, and yesterday added also Magnesium Citrate..... NOTHING HAS MADE ME GO much more than a 'plop' to relieve some pressure.

Does this sound like a stricture?  I am beside myself with frustration over this.  Saw a GI in November, who said "this is something gastric bypass patients often have, so I won't order any tests". 

I am contemplating a trip to the ER in the morning, as this is now in it's 8th day.
LosingSally
on 1/22/12 10:26 am
I do not have constipation, and when I did I had a partial small bowel obstruction.
You need an X-ray to see if there is an enlarged part of your small or large intestine. Also a CT with contrast which will show any narrowing of the bowel.
If all else fails to show anything, an upper GI may show better if there is any obstructon.
Go to the emergency room, and ask for what you want. Tell them you have RNY, and have enough pain you believe you may have an obstruction.
If the pain gets extreme, RUN to the er, or call 911. If your bowel is too stretched, it can tear and leak contents into the abdomen, and this is a life-threatening emergency.
If you don't have any obstruction, maybe take Gas-x, and up the fat in yoru diet. Low fat causes hard, dry stool.
pauliegirl69
on 1/24/12 5:43 am - NJ
I usually do double dose of Miralax and 4 Magnesium OXIDE....Oxide is the one that helps you go..not citrate.
But you could have a blockage...8 days is a long time...the ER may be in order..
Good luck
Most Active