Confused.....

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/12 11:50 pm - Odenton, MD

I had a revision from RNY to DS on December 7th. My surgeon was Dr. Daniel Tran.  To date...I feel no different than I did before the revision. I was a little sore the first week out but other than that I feel nothing...no restriction at all.  The one thing that is different is that my bowels are NOT moving at all.  It was my understanding that with a DS you should go at least 2-3 times a day.  That is not happening at all. I confronted my surgeon about it and all he could say was if I'm not feeling any bloating or pain...I'm fine. He said he will see me back in one month and we will see how things are going then.  Anyone else feel like this after a revision? Am I doing something wrong?  I feel this whole revision was an epic fail!!!

Aasect .org
on 1/17/12 1:54 am, edited 1/17/12 1:57 am
That surgeon doesn't even do the DS. Maybe he just gave you an ERNY? Most people who have a DS revision are in a lot of pain for awhile after because of the amount of work creating the new sleeve and all.

Get a copy of the surgical notes from the hospital and take it to another doctor who does the DS to see if you really got a DS or not.

http://www.hubariatrics.com/content/t_about.cfm
His website says nothing about the DS, let alone DS revisions.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/18/12 3:41 pm
That revision is a big deal - like a bigger deal than a virgin surgery, so that does sound weird. 

There are only a handful of surgeons that do the RNY to DS revision in the US, and your Dr isn't one of them. I too am wondering if he revised you to a simpler (for him, not you) ERNY.

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/12 11:15 am, edited 1/19/12 11:16 am

You really need to do as the others suggested here and get your surgical records and see exactly what you DID have done. The DS is a much more highly specialized surgery, because of the suturing involved in the duodenum, which is the most difficult tissue in the human body to sew/stich. That's why the bariatric/medical community shies away from it. Factor in a revision from the RNY to DS -  which I just had - is THE most complex revision of them all. There truly is a short list and I mean short, of surgeons who perform this in and out of the US, barely a dozen total. The RNY has to be undone - no small feat - sleeving where the pouch had been, difficult, moving the intestines back, and then doing the switch? A LOT of work. Please, get your records and see one of the sureons below from the list below, or find a qualified, vetted DS surgeon near you on DSfacts.com  Believe me, number of bowel movements is NOT the defining factor of a DS patient, let alone a revision to a DS. There are so many things you should be experiencing right now that you aren't, you have absolutely no nutritrion and supplement information specific to the DS. Please, see someone sooner rather than later. Also join  http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com where there are many DS veterans whose information is invaluable. 

US

Dr. Rabkin, northern California,  Dr. Keshishian, southern California

Dr. Elariny, Virginia

Dr. Roslin, New York

Dr. Buchwald,  Minnesota

Out of the US

Dr. Gagner, Canada (Does most revisions in two parts)

Dr. Baltasar, Spain

Dr. Marchesini, Brazil

Dr. Ungson, Mexico

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/12 8:26 pm - Odenton, MD
Thank you all for the responses.  I have requested my records and will be picking them up on Monday.  I"m really nervous now because I don't feel like I know what I really had done. I will keep you guys posted.
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/12 10:02 pm
Glad to hear it. Be very proactive and informed. 
smileyjamie72
on 1/28/12 6:36 am - Palmer, AK

GET YOUR OPERATIVE REPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You would not be the first person to go into OR thinking you are going to have one type of surgery & wake up with another.

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active