Need some advice.

Funmomof 4
on 1/14/12 11:52 am - Mechanicsburg, PA

I posted this on another board but i feel it should be here.  i have had a lap band for over 9 years. I have been working with the MD office and have had several appointments with nutritionist, pulmonology, labs etc.  I have United Healthcare through my employer. It is self-insured.  Anyway, back in April of 2011 I called them and told them i wanted to have the NY. i explained to them that I did have a lap-band 8 years ago and wanted to know if it would be a problem. There was something in my insurance stating that they would not cover a revision for non loosing weight.  They asked me if i worked for my current company or had this insurance during my Lap Band surgery. I told them no and they stated that it would not be a problem.

Anyway here I am 7 months into the program and they called me and said i will not be covered.  I was in tears.  I have had not had fluid in this band for a few years because I was having so much pain when I ate and drank.  I have a constant pain in my upper right quad around my ribs/stomach area.  i am sure it is related to the band.  They have referred me to something called "Advance Medical". After reading this, it looks like it is a second opinion group. 

I have a feeling i am in for a long fight.

Tammi.  Lap band to sleeve revision Nov 27, 2012 

He who can't be Named
on 1/14/12 12:13 pm
Our ranks are growing, in part because many of us get stuck in the "one WLS per lifetime" clause. I've had several insurers over the last few years, and am still fighting to get another shot. My SIL has the DS, and is doing well, but I'm not sure I can stay on top of my vitamins. I may self pay for a sleeve, but whatever I do, I am only considering those two, as I will not allow my pyloric valve to be cut.
Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
Most Active