Dr Alexander Nagel; RnY vs DS revision

Lakefront
on 1/11/12 10:33 pm - Chicago23CC, IL
 I had my RnY May 2001; Northwestern Hospital, Dr. Muryama.  Weight on date of surgery 276, lowest weight for 5 min 125; avg weight over last 4 years 175.

I had minor complications that required dilation and within a year required incisional hernia repair.  As with most RnY I live with vomiting, dumping, challenges with certain foods.  I also have chronic anemia and some nerve tingling in extremities.

I planning to schedule tests to determine if I'm a candidate for revision surgery.  Dr. Nagel performs revision with a good track record.  His specialty seems to be RnY revision.  Does anyone know if he does DS?  

I'm willing to travel if necessary but does anyone have another recommendation for a doctor in Chicago?  I've reviewed the recent posts that have a heavy emphasis on DS and have noted the doctors in NYC and CA.

I'm currently researching both options.  Points of view and reference links on both procedures welcome and appreciated.

clpeltz
on 1/11/12 10:43 pm
Kathy, this is incorrect info. The op is looking for a Rny to DS revision surgeon. Not any DS surgeon can do this. There are only a handful in the country who can. Be careful what kind of info you give out.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

MsBatt
on 1/12/12 12:42 am
Kathy, this is VERY BAD info. Just being a DS surgeon does NOT qualify one to do the much more complicated RNY-to-DS revision. There are only about 20 surgeons in the WORLD who do this. If you REALLY want to help the OP, you should refer her to www.dsfacts.com, to the DS board here, or, God forbid, to the long-term DS vets over at ProBoards.

Lakefront
on 1/13/12 10:41 am - Chicago23CC, IL
clpeltz
on 1/11/12 10:40 pm
No. He is NOT on the short list of Rny to DS revision surgeons. There are only a handful that are experienced enough to do this complicated procedure. The closest to you is probably Dr. Buchwald in MN. Check out the other Rny to DS revision posts on this forum for the other names. I am sending this from my phone, so I don't have the list on me. Be very careful...you need someone who has done a lot of these revisions.

Dr. Henry Buchwald

smileyjamie72
on 1/13/12 10:29 pm - Palmer, AK
On January 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM Pacific Time, Girlrocker wrote:

Hi there, I had my RNY with Dr. Muryama  a year after you, May 2002, and I just revised to the DS five weeks ago, I have lived in Los Angeles for 6 years now. My original surgery weight was 278, and I my lowest weight was 180 - for that same five minutes - and I could not stay under 200 lbs no matter what I did, and I was 100% dedicated to nutrition, diet, exercise, supplements. I had a complication that landed me back in the hospital one week later, a second surgery 3 weeks later, hernia repair 1 year after that. I had some PS/skin removal done (panni, arms) at the same time of the hernia repair and that's when I hit that 180 for five minutes. 

The RNY to the DS is an extremely specialized surgery - as noted above - so it is imperative you have a surgeon who performs this. In my opinion, well worth it, I wish I'd had the DS in the first place, but back then, could not get it covered by insurance. The RNY first has to be undone, then the DS applied. My constant battling, struggling caused me tons of depression, and eventually I bounced back up to 240. 

I had my revision done by Dr. Keshishian, who is on the list of surgeons who performs this surgery and is a total rockstar. Below is an excellent post from a fellow revisionista whoalso had Dr. Keshishian in December 2011, Jamie from Alaska. She had a 3-year road to her revision, and did a LOT of research, has excellent information about the different revision options (ERNY-which is a distal RNY), and a list of surgeons who perform the RNY to DS revision in and out of the US. There is also one in Mexico,  Dr. Ungson. Some others have asked about Dr. Greenbaum, and she comments on him below. More info as mentioned on DSfacts.com.

Can NOT stress enough to read, do this research. You will also find many DS vets on a new board:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/

See Jamie's post below, there are links to posts to read, and the list of surgeons below that. Wishing you lots of luck and keep reading, asking questions, posting! 

JAMIE'S POST
Here is a link regarding the ERNY (diagrams included) an the DS.  People refer to the ERNY as the "Worst Of Both Worlds"
http://www.dssurgery.com/newsletters/duodenal-switch-and-dis tal-gastric-bypass.php

Here is a link as to why your revision should be done OPEN ONLY!!!!!!!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4483266/Terrys-Post-Gav e-me-the-Courage-to-Post/

Here is a link with a lady who I said to be cautious...... Read the thread......
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4462656/lapband-t o-what-ds-or-rny/#36915162

Here is another thread:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4447254/RNY-to-Di stal-Gastric-Bypass-not-as-happy/

And yet another........  Seeing a pattern?
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4358315/Dr-g-is-g oing-to-revise-me-to-an-erny-not-the-ds/

The link below is what "sealed" my decision to pursue a revision from my 2002 RNY to a DS.
http://www.dssurgery.com/about/publications/duodenal-switch- safe-operation.pdf

List of RNY to DS revision surgeons

Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

***Of Dr. Greenbaum she says:  Please, PLEASE keep your guard up with Greenbaum.  This last 12 months, he HAS NOT done a full RNY to DS revision that I have seen on the boards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  He has been doing RNY to ERNY.  NOT THE SAME THING!!!! 
Of course, the above doctors are in the United States 

Dr. Gagner, located in Canada

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil

You go, Sheryl!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks!!!!!!!  The potential revisioners definately need these threads as part of their research, so that they can make the best, INFORMED decision for THEM!!!!!!!

-Jamie in Alaska

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

clpeltz
on 1/12/12 7:45 am
The Doctors listed below are the ONLY ones that are experienced to do a RNY-DS revision.  The ONLY ones.

Dr. Rabkin, Dr. Keshishian, both are located in California

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States

Dr. Gagner, located in Canada (Does most revisions in two parts)

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil

Dr. Henry Buchwald

Lakefront
on 1/13/12 10:58 am - Chicago23CC, IL
 All --  thank you for the links and guidance.   

Rockergirl, sounds like our experiences are very similar, appreciate hearing your story and will follow your journey.  Congratulations on your December revision...hope you are doing well.

When starting my research here I actually did read all of the links the gal from Alaska provided; found them left by you on one of the other posts.

Clpietz, thanks for the Reference to the MN doctor.  I'll check him out along with the others recommended.

I have Aetna PPO and I'll check to see who is in network..

Stay tuned.  Thanks again.
smileyjamie72
on 1/13/12 10:32 pm - Palmer, AK

I honestly know that we all want the best outcome for anyone here on this board, and providing links and research is the only way for someone to be able to make the BEST decisionn FOR THEM!!!!!

Good Luck!!!!!!!
-Jamie in Alaska

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active