Revision From RNY to ????????? HELP!

ladymocha
on 1/11/12 10:26 am - Bronx, NY
My doctor informed me that I don't have a lot of options for revision surgery due to the fact that I have had the gastric bypass. I DO NOT want the band, but do not know what other options I have!  If you have had revision surgery after having the gastric bypass, please tell me what you had and was it successful. 

Thanks!

Y.
Ladytazz
on 1/11/12 5:17 pm
Really, you only have two choices.  You can have your RNY revised, smaller pouch or a more distal procedure to malabsorb more, or you can have a DS, which would revise your pouch into a sleeve and give you more, permanent malabsorption.  The DS would most likely give you your best chance of losing excess weight and keeping it off.  There aren't a lot of surgeons that are skilled on RNY to DS revisions, which is very complicated.
Check out the DS board here and also DSfacts.com.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

ladymocha
on 1/12/12 11:58 am - Bronx, NY
Hello Ladytazz,

Thank you very much for responding and giving me something to think about!  I never gave the DS any thought, but I will definitely look into it before I see my doctor on February 15th.  I appreciate the info.

Y.
Frankie
on 1/11/12 10:55 pm - NY
Ladymocha, you can revise as Ladytazz stated.  Check out www.dsfacts.com.  FYI, I revised from RNY to DS in Sepetmber 2011 and have done great so far.  Research, research and research before you decide what will be right for you.

Good luck to you on your journey.

Frankie

ladymocha
on 1/12/12 12:03 pm - Bronx, NY
Hello Frankie,

Thank you and congratulations on your success thus far!  I will definitely check out the site and yes, do more research before I make my decision.  Continued success to you and thanks again!

Y.
ladymocha
on 1/12/12 12:18 pm - Bronx, NY
Hello Sharyl,

Thanks for your response.  The Duodenal Switch sound scary, but I will definitely check out the sites you have given me and I will do my resesrch before I make my decision.  I am glad that you are doing great since your revision.  Continued success to you!

Y.
(deactivated member)
on 1/13/12 12:40 am
ladymocha
on 1/14/12 10:16 am - Bronx, NY

Thank you and I will definitely keep you posted!

Y.

smileyjamie72
on 1/13/12 10:23 pm - Palmer, AK
On January 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM Pacific Time, Girlrocker wrote:

I concur with both above posts. You definitely have revision options, it's a matter of deciding which one will be best for you, finding the right surgeon, especially the RNY to DS, since it's very specialized and there's a short list in and out of the US of those who perform it. I had my RNY in May, 2002, just revised to a DS Dec. 15, am doing great. I wish I would have the DS in the first place but my insurance didn't cover it back then. I got 3 opinions, but I had seen Dr. Keshishian first, and I knew he was the one for me. But it helped that I heard what the others had to say - one wanted to do a lapband, the other wanted to revise to a distal or ERNY as it's now called. I wanted neither - for me the RNY failed, so continuing to have that plumbing was not an option I wished to pursue. 

Start reading - scan here and the DS board for posts, go back page by page. Also do check out DSfacts.com

http://www.dsfacts.com/ 

A new board where many DS veterans have moved to: 

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

And here on this board is a post asking your same questions, and I re-posted some comprehensive information shared by Jamie from Alaska, who also had her revision with Dr. Keshishian in December, has a list of good links and a short list of RNY to DS surgeons.  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4490572/Dr-Alexan der-Nagel-RnY-vs-DS-revision/

I clicked on the last link & it looks like that post has disappeared.  So much for valuable info here.

-Jamie in Alaska

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

heathercross
on 1/12/12 3:17 am - New York, NY
 Why don't you want the Band?  I have a Band over Bypass and I love it!  At least you are in NYC and you have a plethera of docotors available to you. Go see Dr Roslin at Lenox Hill. He is world reknown and will give you the facts, the good, the bad and the ugly.  He is a God when it comes to WLS.  He also does the DS should you go that route.

Most Active