RNY to DS - thinking...

LionsGuy
on 1/8/12 10:27 pm, edited 1/9/12 12:36 am
I had my RNY back in 2003 and lost 100 lbs, going from 393 to 295 and maintained that level since then.  Only problem is that now I'm still considered severely obese at 295 and standing only 5'10"!  I want to get down to 200 even and in order to accomplish that, I've researched going to a full DS.  I want to make sure the weight finally comes off and STAYS off.  The best way to accomplish this (from my research) is the DS.  I've read about the risks and complications, but I personally am at a point of no return.  I've got a 7yr.old and I'd rather die on the table trying to fight this weight situation than to live the rest of my life obese!

I want to know (since I'm new here) from any and everybody, their stories about going from RNY to DS.  I realize they have to first put everything back the way it was BEFORE going forward with the DS.  This reversion MUST pose additional risks, aside from the DS itself - correct?  I'm a typical macho guy, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm somewhat frightened that I may not come away from this decision ever seeing my kid or wife again.  But once again, I cannot go another day at roughly 300lbs!

I'm approved through my Blue Cross already and the Doc that will be performing the procedure is out of New Jersey.  He's done a ton of revisions (RNY to DS) and will be performing mine open.  This is the only part of the process I wish I could change because I'd prefer it be done laparoscopically for obvious reasons.

Please everyone respond with comments as I am nervously moving toward D-Day :-)
(deactivated member)
on 1/8/12 11:03 pm

Hi, I just revised from a DS from an RNY; I had the RNY in 2002, with a start weight of 278 and at 7 mos my weight loss ground to a halt, and I couldn't get under 200 lbs, no matter what I did. And I was very, very diligent, disciplined abut nutrition and exercise. I had complications with my RNY too, a 2nd surgery 4 weeks later, infection. So a lot of grief and not much reward for what I went through. 

I can NOT stress enough the importance of having the RIGHT SURGEON performing this surgery. It is complicated, yes, the RNY is undone and then the DS is performed. It's a lot work, and there are only a handful of surgeons in the US who are expert - two of them are in California, Dr. Keshishian and Dr. Rabkin. Many of the veteran DS people from here are on a new board, and I've posted a link to it below, which also includes a bigger recap of  my own story. You can easily identify the surgeons in the US who are best for this surgery. I had Dr. Keshishian, mine was done in 3 hours and I feel like I owe him my life, for giving me a second chance at my life. You will read a lot of stories of RNY conversions, I agree, this IS the only surgery that really gets us to not only the finish line, but keeps us there. I can't tell you how much I wish I'd been able to have the DS the first time, but my insurance then in Chicago didn't cover it. 

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk& action=display&thread=756

LionsGuy
on 1/9/12 12:04 am
Thanks for info GirlRocker!

I searched and found a Dr. Greenbaum out of New Jersey that has been regarded as one of few experts on revision from RNY to DS.  Please let me know if you've heard of Dr. Greenbaum and any recommendations you could give.

You are also spot on concerning the complexity of the procedure starting with (of course) reversing the RNY back to its orginal state THEN moving forward with the actual DS!
I know the risks are highly increased, but I cannot go another day at 295lbs and standing a mere 5'10" tall!  I'm not (at all) ungrateful for the 100lbs lost, especially since I've been able to keep it off from 2003 until present day.  I just feel like I have not (in reality) reached the goal I set when I decided to go the RNY route way back in 2002.  I feel somewhat ashamed and embarassed that I'm still considered dangerously obese AFTER having had the RNY surgery!  It's always in the back of my mind that I'm still listed in the "dangerous" category when it concerns excess weight.  To be totally frank, I'd be doing backflips in the middle of my Cul-de-Sac if I were down to a respectable 200lbs. flat!

I wasn't sure if there was an "expert" in reversion procedures in my home state of MN, which is why my research led to finding Dr. Greenbaum out of Jersey.  I'd prefer to remain in state for the revision but if I must travel then I have no problem doing so.  I had (according to my original Dr.) no complications/hiccups or setbacks during my RNY in 2002.  I recovered well from the laparoscopic procedure and pain was held to a minimum from pain meds.  I'm hoping at 38yrs.old and seemingly "healthy", I will have no major issues after the DS has been performed.  My labs have all been extremely normal since 2003, all the way until present day.  The only prescription I've been on for the last six years (from the RNY) has been Vit D.  I'm told it was due to my living (very much) in a state where the winters can run 8 months in legth!  There's not much sun to take advantage of in MN :-)

I'm optimistic that things will turn out fine.  I haven't gotten to the point of having an actual surgery date assigned yet.  After I submit the requested information, the date will be assigned.  Is it possible to have the RNY to DS done laparoscopically?  How many experts can perform such a complex procedure, using the laparoscope technique?
clpeltz
on 1/9/12 2:20 am
On January 9, 2012 at 8:04 AM Pacific Time, LionsGuy wrote:
Thanks for info GirlRocker!

I searched and found a Dr. Greenbaum out of New Jersey that has been regarded as one of few experts on revision from RNY to DS.  Please let me know if you've heard of Dr. Greenbaum and any recommendations you could give.

You are also spot on concerning the complexity of the procedure starting with (of course) reversing the RNY back to its orginal state THEN moving forward with the actual DS!
I know the risks are highly increased, but I cannot go another day at 295lbs and standing a mere 5'10" tall!  I'm not (at all) ungrateful for the 100lbs lost, especially since I've been able to keep it off from 2003 until present day.  I just feel like I have not (in reality) reached the goal I set when I decided to go the RNY route way back in 2002.  I feel somewhat ashamed and embarassed that I'm still considered dangerously obese AFTER having had the RNY surgery!  It's always in the back of my mind that I'm still listed in the "dangerous" category when it concerns excess weight.  To be totally frank, I'd be doing backflips in the middle of my Cul-de-Sac if I were down to a respectable 200lbs. flat!

I wasn't sure if there was an "expert" in reversion procedures in my home state of MN, which is why my research led to finding Dr. Greenbaum out of Jersey.  I'd prefer to remain in state for the revision but if I must travel then I have no problem doing so.  I had (according to my original Dr.) no complications/hiccups or setbacks during my RNY in 2002.  I recovered well from the laparoscopic procedure and pain was held to a minimum from pain meds.  I'm hoping at 38yrs.old and seemingly "healthy", I will have no major issues after the DS has been performed.  My labs have all been extremely normal since 2003, all the way until present day.  The only prescription I've been on for the last six years (from the RNY) has been Vit D.  I'm told it was due to my living (very much) in a state where the winters can run 8 months in legth!  There's not much sun to take advantage of in MN :-)

I'm optimistic that things will turn out fine.  I haven't gotten to the point of having an actual surgery date assigned yet.  After I submit the requested information, the date will be assigned.  Is it possible to have the RNY to DS done laparoscopically?  How many experts can perform such a complex procedure, using the laparoscope technique?
Dr. Buchwald is a vetted RNY-DS revision surgeon.  He is in the same practice as Dr. I and he did my revision in April of last year!  He is an awesome guy!  He only does open surgeries, but it wasn't an issue for me.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

smileyjamie72
on 1/9/12 6:12 am, edited 1/9/12 6:24 am - Palmer, AK
On January 9, 2012 at 8:04 AM Pacific Time, LionsGuy wrote: Thanks for info GirlRocker!

Please, PLEASE keep your guard up with Greenbaum.  This last 12 months, he HAS NOT done a full RNY to DS revision that I have seen on the boards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  He has been doing RNY to ERNY.  NOT THE SAME THING!!!!

Here is a link regarding the ERNY (diagrams included) an the DS.  People refer to the ERNY as the "Worst Of Both Worlds"
http://www.dssurgery.com/newsletters/duodenal-switch-and-dis tal-gastric-bypass.php

Here is a link as to why your revision should be done OPEN ONLY!!!!!!!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4483266/Terrys-Post-Gav e-me-the-Courage-to-Post/

Here is a link with a lady who I said to be cautious...... Read the thread......
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4462656/lapband-t o-what-ds-or-rny/#36915162

Here is another thread:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4447254/RNY-to-Di stal-Gastric-Bypass-not-as-happy/

And yet another........  Seeing a pattern?
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4358315/Dr-g-is-g oing-to-revise-me-to-an-erny-not-the-ds/

The link below is what "sealed" my decision to pursue a revision from my 2002 RNY to a DS.
http://www.dssurgery.com/about/publications/duodenal-switch- safe-operation.pdf

List of RNY to DS revision surgeons

Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States 

Dr. Gagner, located in Canada

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil

I just wanted to give you information so that you can make the best decision for YOU!!!!!!  Good LUCK in YOUR journey!!!!!

-Jamie in Alaska

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

LionsGuy
on 1/9/12 7:58 am
Hey Jamie,

Just a quick note to tell you that...

YOU'RE AWESOME!!!!!

Thank you so much for all the links and info, as I'm trying to go into this with eye wide the hell open!  You've made that research more meaningful with the info you provided.  I could kiss you, although out of repect I'll offer my sincerest verbal gratitude :-)

I'm prefer to remain in state, so Dr. Buchwald would be a viable option and since I found out that his right hand homeboy is the Dr. that did my initial RNY - that works out just splendid!!!

Thanks again!!!
smileyjamie72
on 1/13/12 10:45 pm - Palmer, AK

You are more than welcome.  I truely just want everyone who is researching able to see the "good, the bad & the ugly" and so that they can make up their mind as to what they would like to pursue with research, so that they can make the best, informed decision for THEM!!!!!!!

Good LUCK on YOUR journey!!!!!!!
-Jamie in Alaska

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Frankie
on 1/8/12 11:50 pm - NY
Hi, I am a RNY to DS revision as well.  I had my revision surgery done on September 26, 2011 with Dr. Roslin in NYC.  He explained the risks to me and I felt that Obesity was worse.  I had no complications and my surgery was 3 1/2 hours.  So far I have lost 52lbs to date.  I had RNY in December 2004 lost 122 lbs and gained back 80 of those pounds.  So the day of my surgery I was 245.

Good luck to you on your journey and read the DS facts at www.dsfacts.com

Frankie

LionsGuy
on 1/9/12 12:22 am
Frankie,

Thanks for the post and insight into your situation.

I also agree with you concerning the risks versus having to continue through life listed in the "dangerous" category.  I wanted to ask you about some of the more trivial aspects to the RNY to DS procedure like scarring.  Since I had my RNY (2003) done laparoscopically, I was spoiled somewhat by little to no external scarring at all.  I realize that most of the RNY to DS procedures are done open, so that major incision straight down the midline is significant in my opinion.  From breast-bone to navel, the scar left by that sort of dissection has to be noticeable.  How comfortable are you with it?  Are you at a point where you can go back to the activities we (guys) tend to favor like pick up basketball, weighlifting, softball/baseball etc?

Then there's the concern with hernias, since the cut made goes right through central abdominal muscles.  Any problems there?

And the most immature aspect is the self-conscious aspect when it comes to having a new young lady on the scene.  If things progress to becoming physical then she will undoubtedly notice the scar, which will put you in a position of whether to truly "open-up" (no pun) or go another route with your explanation.  I was prepared to say that I was wounded in IRAQ, while rescuing some of my fellow troops that had been ambushed :-)   LOL

I'm just private in that way, and only would I feel comfortable exposing my feelings on this IN a forum such as this one.  One where people like you, me and the other beautiful people on here have come forward with their respective battles with weight.

Please offer your thoughts, as I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Lions Guy
"Long Live Barry Sanders!!!"
Frankie
on 1/9/12 3:46 am - NY

LionsGuy, I feel absolutely fantastic.  Dr Roslin was able to do my surgery Lap and since my RNY was done lap as well he went back into those holes and added 3 more.  I am a female so as far as activities, at my 2 week post-op check up I was ok to do walking on the treadmill.  At my 1 month post-op checkup I was released to full exercise regime.  My boyfriend doesn't know that I had WLS but when I was having surgery I told him I was having my gallbladder removed.  I didn't feel comfortable telling him so I didn't.  Once you meet someone and feel comfortable with them you will know if you can tell them or not.

Frankie

Most Active