VSG to DS?

BananaGal
on 1/2/12 11:16 pm - IL
Hi,

I'm looking for some insight regarding VSG to DS revisions - mostly for my mom. Both my mom and I have had VSG but have not been super successful. My mom's surgeon, Dr. John Alverdy (University of Chicago), actually performed my mom's sleeve as the first half of a DS, but has now decided he will not go back in to perform the DS. In case you are wondering, he wanted to do it in 2 stages because she had 7 other abdominal surgeries (non WLS related) prior to her VSG and some other medical issues. Amazingly, he was able to perform the surgery laparoscopically, and again, initailly intended to go back in after she lost some weight and do the intenstinal switch. We're not exactly sure what changed his mind, but he basically decided it was too dangerous. My mom was devistated by this, because she was really hoping to have the full DS. I believe her starting weight was about 350 and she's currently somewhere in the 290s. Her VSG was done in the Spring of 2010 (sorry - can't remember the date off hand), so she's nearing 2 years out. She's 61 years old.

I've seen these surgeons mentioned a lot in this forum:  Rabkin Keshishian Buchwald Greenbaum Roslin

Do all of these surgeons perform all types of revisions? Or is there any one in particular that is known for VSG revisions? 

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Nina
Aasect .org
on 1/2/12 11:51 pm
I've been reading a lot about DS revisions lately mostly due to my problems with my rny. Since you have the VSG, they will only have to do the intestinal portion of the DS to switch you over from what I understand. I hope a DS person will correct me if I'm wrong.

I looked at the list of doctors the Ds board posted on dsfacts.com and it looks like your original doctor doesn't really do the DS so I think your Mom was lied to. All of the doctors you named will be able to do the revision. I think it's not as complicated as revising from another type of surgery unless your sleeve is too large or something.

Get a copy of your surgical notes and submit them to one of the revision doctors you want to see and see what he says. Reading through this forum for days, I have seen a lot of people mention Rabkin, Keshishian, and Greenbaum for revisions. Some have mentioned Roslin but I don't think I've seen anyone mention Buchwald. Maybe you should ask on the DS board? Good luck to you and your Mom.
Paula R.
on 1/3/12 12:42 am - Portland, OR
DSfacts.com has a list of vetted DS surgeons.  I have heard that Greenbaum is not doing DS revisions currently, but hopefully someone else will be able to confirm if its true.  I have heard mention that Buchwald was doing revisions, but I personally did not check that far east from where Im at to find out for sure.   Same would be said for Roslin as well.

The two top names Ive heard mentioned are Dr. Keshishian and Dr. Rabkin out in California.  Would your mother be willing to travel for surgery?  I believe there are some folks who have had a VSG to DS revision posting at the link in my signature, so you are always welcome to come over there and ask as well.  
My signature is in the witness protection program

Aasect .org
on 1/3/12 1:34 am
I think Dr. Greenbaum isn't doing RNY to DS revisions but he's still doing a lot of DS surgeries and going from a vsg to a ds wouldn't be anywhere near as problematic as revising the RNY to a DS.
Paula R.
on 1/3/12 1:47 am - Portland, OR
That sounds about right actually   Since I was going RNY to DS, I dont think I bothered paying much attention past that point.  VSG to DS is considerably less complicated than my RNY to DS.  
My signature is in the witness protection program

Ladytazz
on 1/3/12 12:59 pm
Unless she needs a revision to her sleeve then a VSG to DS shouldn't be that complicated.  However, if her first surgeon says that it would dangerous for her to have the DS then she should get a very good surgeon to give her a second opinion.  Probably the ones I have heard mentioned as possibly the best would be either Dr K or Dr. Rabkin in California.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

BananaGal
on 1/4/12 12:02 am - IL
Thank you everyone for your insighful replies! I am going to pass this information on to my mom:-)
Barb H.
on 1/6/12 6:16 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
I think I would also want a straight answer from her surgeon as to why he won't complete the DS. Sounds to me like he wasn't very clear about it with you or your mom. But definitely get second opinions.

All the best to you both!
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

Most Active