new to board, I am eroded..need revision

WannaSew
on 1/2/12 9:57 am - Dandridge, TN
 I was recently told that my band has eroded...I go back to the Surgeon on Thurs...

they are fighting with the Insurance to see if they can just do this all at one time either RnY ..or to the sleeve..the currant surgeon just feels that if she has to go in "open" that she didn't want to  have to go back in at a later date to do the revision...I am at this time fighting a staff infection with a picc line and iv antibotic..

this past year has been bad..and I believe the  surgeon here (not Dr. H) may have  dropped the ball...I was 5.5 yrs out...no problems, moved her 4 yrs ago
I  developed a leak.. port replaced, weeks of wound care,  port removed, 7+ months of wound care.. 2nd port put in, (different doc and hosp.) same trouble..did EDG ..found erosion, picc line with Cubisin...
their has been a staff inection in there since the first, they said that it was every day staff...put on 10 days of antibiotic...never re-tested until recently 
finally up to date..waiting to find out what is next...I am just so tired of this (has now gone on for nearly a year)

any info about revision would really help

Thanks in advance, Debbi
Blessings...Debbi

Lapband .. May 2005 .. Starting weight 311.6
Revision surgery Jan 2012 .. RNY .. 231
Currant weight 168

Paula R.
on 1/2/12 11:12 am - Portland, OR
Im sorry to hear things are going rough for you right now.  I dont have much advice to offer because Ive personally never had a band or anything like that.  I hope things start looking up again for you soon.
My signature is in the witness protection program

Aasect .org
on 1/2/12 11:52 pm
I'm living with the RNY and I hate it after so many years. Get the sleeve if you can.
A H.
on 1/3/12 2:50 am
Revision on 02/09/12
I just wanted to say welcome and I'm sorry for all the health issues you are experiencing. What an ordeal!  I'd recommend you look into the sleeve, there is a lot of data out now on RNY years out and it's not something I'd choose for myself.

My band is not eroded (at least as of a month ago but it hurts) and I am going to have it removed and revised to a sleeve just as soon as I get my surgery date set.  The sleeve is said to be what hte band should have been but wasn't... many people who have revised to it from the band are extremely happy!

Good luck in whatever you decide!
USAF Wife
on 1/3/12 10:09 pm
What a horrible ordeal and I hope you feel better soon! ! ! I revised from the band to VSG 2.5 years ago and couldn't be more happy and pleased with my results. If you have specific questions/concerns, feel free to shoot me a message.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

LisaK/ UnstapledLisa
on 1/4/12 3:23 am - plymouth, MN
I had a takedown of a rny at 8 1/2 years post op due to major complications. My surgeon would've not nor would've I elected to revise to another surgery. 
     I would strongly think about whether or not it's worth risking anymore trauma to your poor body by revising to another surgery. I had major weight regain starting 6 years post op because my complications were so bad, and I started mentally detoriating and I was put on a host of psychotropic drugs (the whole gory story is on my blog I keep on here)
        I just don't think it's worth the risk. I've lost slowly my regain, you've kept the majority of your excess weight off, even if you haven't, I know enough people being 10 years out, who've had complications, not be able to eat anything and still have major regain issues and they can't lose weight even though they can't eat anything. Not trying to be condescending or judgemental, I really would think about this carefully after everything you've been through.. Peace...

Lisa
lap rny w/liver biopsy 12/5/2001 hw/233 day of sx/ht 5'4
maintained a size 9 for 3 years until Summer of 2004
went from a size 9 to a size 4 2007 to 2007
gained 92 lbs and went from a size 4 back to a 22/24 from 2007 to 2009
heaviest weight post op 222 /jan 2010
Open reversal of rny 9/7/2010
weight from 10/2010 to 2/2011 165 -171
Gained 35 lbs from 2/2011 to 9/2011 was on average 196-198, 200 on 9/1/2011 even though I could need eat most of summer 2011 I could not lose what I gained winter/spring 2011.
While I still have problems eating,vomiting, ulcers, post reversal, once I was able to eat more starting end of 9/2010 and resumed exercising, when I'm able to eat, I eat mindfully, do not diet, everything in moderation and moderate exercise seems to be working. I've lost 20 lbs  3 1/2 months
weight today 176/ height 5'3
(deactivated member)
on 1/4/12 4:54 am, edited 1/4/12 5:16 am
the OP is talking about an eroded lapband - not RNY.

it HAS to come out & needs to heal - very likely a possible revision can't take place at the same time.  
after that has happened a revision can take place....much different than taking down an RNY.

to the OP - have read your story, you have been through a LOT with your band.
i wish you all the best !!!
LisaK/ UnstapledLisa
on 1/9/12 9:29 am, edited 1/9/12 9:32 am - plymouth, MN
I got the fact the OP is talking about an eroded lap band. I'm saying to reevaluate for her, the risk to revise to any other wls, even if a revision to another wls would not take place at the same time. Revising puts her at risk for complications with any wls.
   In my case I had complications, severe malabsorbtion issues but it still was possible for me to gain an enormous amount of weight back. She's not at a terribly unhealthy weight for her height, she's having more problems with wls then what would be the equivalent of those who have comorbidities of their obesity (which I never had at my heaviest). What happens if she has another wls and has more complications is my concern and it causes further trauma to her body and her digestive system? That's why I posted what I did on here, I read very carefully what she had said and wish her the best of luck regardless of what she decides.... 
TamaraL
on 1/5/12 8:11 am

i can honestly say I would have a long talk with my surgeon about doing a revision with a eroded band. I personally would say do 2 surgeries.  Remove the band and let the stomach heal then revise.

Please be careful if you do 1 surgery.  Also look into sleeve and make sure you are making the right choice for me

Tamara

camietam
on 1/6/12 1:29 pm - Ceres , CA
The band will have to be removed, but I would wait. I would let the eroded area heal. The band caused narrowing that we couldn't foresee. I had a lot of scar tissue and adhesion's. Read my Blog. I documented everything. 2 surgeries, EGD, upper GI, 13 days in the hospital and 12 days on a feeding tube. The good new is I feel better and I can eat and drink. The feeding tube worked. The doctor said if the narrowing didn't open they would have to do the RNY. So sorry you are going though a lot. I pray your infection clears up. My advice find out exactly where the erosion is located on the stomach and then you will know which surgery option will be for you.
Camie
Camie

Most Active