Questions Regarding Revision WLS

dhelms
on 12/29/11 9:38 am
I have a few questions concerning revision WLS.  I am very concerned about weight loss stall and only 2 months post op.  I have loss 32 lbs since pre-op.  My first check-up was 6 Dec and I have not lost any weight since then.  The questions I want to ask are rumors that I have heard and I want to know if anyone else has experienced anything similiar.  

1 - Is it harder to loss weight after a revision?

2 - Is it true that once you reach the weight you had been for a while before the revision, it is hard to get passed it because your body was used to that weight?

3 - Any suggestions on how to get passed the stall?

I still can't get all my protein and water down yet, but I am trying.  I am still working on getting more exercise in also.

Any info would be appreciated.

Ladytazz
on 12/29/11 11:53 am
What were you revised from?  As far as revisions being slower, that hasn't been the case with me.  I actually lost weight faster and lost more weight then after my first WLS.  I don't know why but I'm not complaining.
I have heard that it is hard to push past certain weights for some reason.  It's like our bodies like a certain weight and don't want to leave there.  Many also experience a stall around milestones like dropping under 200 lbs or losing 100 lbs.  I don't know why.  It's like our bodies are teasing us.
As far as suggestions to get past the stall.  Patience is the biggest.  I know it's hard but it will pass if you are doing what you should be doing.  I credit my fast weight loss with the fact that I made sure I got in 100 grams of protein and 100 oz of fluids every day.  It seemed that when I started doing that the weight really started coming off.  I also avoided all refined carbs.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

dhelms
on 12/30/11 9:21 am
 I was revised from VBG to  RNY.  I am at the weight I lost down to during the first WLS and I stayed there for a while.  The problem may be partly that I am not getting enough protein and water.  I am still having trouble getting all that down.  

Thanks for your reply.
marcia5472
on 12/30/11 10:51 am - VA
I am scheduled for a revision froma vbg to the rny like you.  how was it?  did you have any complications?
dhelms
on 12/31/11 1:14 am
 I did not have any complications and surgery went well.  The only problem I had was shortly after surgery my BP dropped really low, but that was corrected in a day or two.  I felt really weak for a few weeks, but I think that is normal.  The doctor was able to do mine lap instead of open, which is also a plus.  Good luck.
TamaraL
on 12/30/11 10:51 pm
i had heard all of the stories about the slower weight loss and the psychologist told me to really use the first 6 months to my greatest ability so that I lost all of my weight.

The surgeon felt like with a revision it should not slow down.  I had to stay focused with my revision surgery, not eat junk.  Make sure I was getting my protien and vegetables in and not nibble as much

Its going to be hard the first 3 months.  How much protien are you getting now.  I only got like 40-45 for a while.  I was faithful with the vitamins and did not lose much hair.   Just keep focused. Drink a shake for a snack. 

Tamara

dhelms
on 12/31/11 1:22 am
 I know I am not getting enough protein, but I am really trying hard.  I am not eating any junk and only eat 3 times a day.  Maybe I need to try to eat 5-6 times a day, I don't know.  I am really worried about the weight stall. I am just two months out.
TamaraL
on 12/31/11 5:25 am
please, please go to 5-6 meals.  You are eating so little at one time, you are not getting enough calories or protien.  I still eat 5 meals/day and I am 1 year out!!!!

dhelms
on 12/31/11 2:02 pm
Thanks, Tamara.  I will try adding more meals and see if that helps. 
vwelsh
on 12/31/11 5:43 am - Hudson, KY
Is there anyone out there who's had a VBG revision done by Dr. Jeffrey Allen in Louisville, KY? I'm not sure yet how to get onto the Kentucky section of this site. Thanks!
Most Active