Lap-Band to Sleeve (Issues & Questions)

hjyon2
on 12/28/11 12:35 am - FL
Hi There -

My name is Holly.  Back in November of 2006 I had the lap-band placed. I went from 290 lbs to 230, then over the years climbed back up to 267. On my own I have recently lost 23 lbs, back down to 244 lbs. No where near where I'd like to be.

Anyhow, I am not happy with the lap-band for many reasons. I have never hit that sweet spot, it has cased a HUGE hiatal hernia, which I am sure needs repair, and just am not losing on with it.

I am definately wanting it removed - but am considering having the sleeve done. Has anyone done this and what are your recommendations. Is it worth it? I may not do anything, I may just have it removed and just continue losing on my own. However, I am concerned that since I have not had a normal stomach in the past 5+ years I don't know how I will do on my own.

So, I am seeking out your opinions and thoughts on this. Thank you so much for your time and assistance.
Shanelle S.
on 12/28/11 6:00 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 01/17/12

Hi Holly,

I had the band since November of 2007 and I am waiting for insurance approval for the sleeve.  I have not lost any weight with it.  I don't have any problems that they can see from the upper GI, it just does not work for me and never did.  I am a little afraid of what they might find when they go in, but I know that without a tool at all, I will just climb back up the scale so fast my head will spin.  I am afraid out of my mind at yet another surgery but I am going for it anyway if approved. I hope to have surgery in January 2012.  I have restriction with the band but at most times, I cant even get down good food.  If my band don't want to eat, it won't eat nothing.  I am tired of the stuck feeling.  I use to try everything but bring it back up and now I feel that is the only way for relief.  Good Luck with whatever your decide.

Revision from LB Highest Weight 267 SW 248.9 CW 188.4 GW 175       

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/11 6:16 am
i revised to the sleeve after 4 yrs w/the band.  

worth it - yes, i was gaining with an empty band after slip #2.   2 months with the sleeve, i'm back at goal.
Marianne W.
on 12/28/11 6:24 am
I lost 60 lbs with the lap band in 2009 then got pregnant and had some issues.  I had it removed this past year and had the gastric sleeve two months later.  I have lost nothing since.  I have nowhere near the restriction I had with the band.  Until I deal with this in my head I've come to the conclusion that no surgery will help me permanently.  This is a big decision.  If I could make it again I don't think I'd do it again.  Good luck.
Hislady
on 12/28/11 7:10 am - Vancouver, WA
I would say go for it, there are so very many many people who have had issues with the band and many of them have revised to the sleeve and quite successsfully. If I could revise that is exactly the surgery I would have. The sleeve seems far more successful than the band which has been a big disappointment for lots of us! Best of luck to you!
A H.
on 12/28/11 7:10 am
Revision on 02/09/12
 I haven't been revised (yet) but probably will be in the near future, just awaiting a date. I just wanted to say you sound exactly like me, even down to the weight numbers and timing, pretty close.

There are a lot of people who have revised from band to sleeve and had great success. I like you have been thinking of getting it taken out vs. revising, but I really don't know how I'd lose all my weight as I've had the band helping me the last 4+ years not to over eat. Though it screwed me in other ways.   I'm hoping the sleeve is what the band wasn't for me.. restriction + being able to eat the right foods without pain instead of being forced into slider foods just to eat without vomiting.

Good luck...
hjyon2
on 12/28/11 7:20 am - FL
 Thank you Ladies, for each of your responses! I guess I will continue to pray about it and will be speaking with the surgeon next Friday and will go from there. I know no matter what I am having this beast removed. I am leaning towards having the sleeve. I never went in with the attitude that even the band would be the overall answer, I have always seen it as an extra tool to help me. But it hasn't even done that.

Often times I find myself going for items that I can suck or drink down, so I don't have to go through the issue of stuck and/or vomiting. Plus, just so I get some nutrients into my system.  What I hope is that the sleeve will be more of a tool that I was hoping from the band. Just something to assist me with my weight loss journey. 

I will continue to pray about this and know the right decision is around the corner. 

Most Active